What is the best car charger for 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nitinleew, Aug 5, 2008.

1. nitinleew macrumors newbie

I haven't received my 3g yet, but I'd like to get the car charger for it.

I have an 8 gig first generation Iphone and a griffin charger. It has the usb input on it, but I can't find the model number to see if it works with the new 3g.

Will griffin's work with the 3g. If not, which ones are available that are recommended?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I use the Griffin PowerJolt. That and the PowerJolt SE will both work for both iPhones and iPods as well. I bet that's the one you have already.

The PowerJolt has a USB port that plugs into a car charger. I got that one because it could double as a sync cable if need be.

The SE has the curly cable (like a telephone receiver cable) that goes from the car charger to the iPhone/iPod input.

3. M0bile macrumors regular

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have one of these for my iPod Touch.

As I understand, it will work with the iPhone 3G (they list as 2G iPhone). Suggest you contact customer service to verify, unless someone here already knows.

5. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

Incase Car and Wall Charger

Incase just recently announced a new wall and car charger. It's a bit pricey, but it's two products in one. I've seen people sell both the car and wall chargers, but you have to carry more than one article at a time. With the USB car chargers other people mention, you may have to buy an extra sync cable. With this product, everything is put into one single item, so you won't forget anything. Plus, it's Apple certified. Just my $0.02.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/2in1-wall-car-charger-ec20002

6. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

xtrememac.

7. soccerb12ku macrumors member

i got this one yesterday. it is sweet it works like a charm with the 3g. Also check your local best buy mine has it on sale this week for $30

8. jeffp macrumors member

I just picked it up at Walmart for about $15.00. It works great with the 3G Iphone.

9. JamboUK macrumors member

10. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Love this charger. I've had many chargers. Power Jolt was the worst one ever. It broke within 3 months and Griffin didn't want anything to do with it. I bought it when it was first announced, so clearly when it broke, it was less than a year old. Because i didn't have receipt, they couldn't help me. Meanwhile it was still under warranty.

11. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

My ExtremeMac works great it's solid in the socket, I had the Griffin one, it was loose in the socket so it broke in less than 30days. I still got to keep the griffin cord though so it wasn't a total loss.

12. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Just got the Griffin Power Jolt (supposedly approved for 3G iPhone) over a week ago. I tested it out on car trip I'm not positive it works to its full potential, I'll explain why:

During my trip I had purposely drained the iPhone's battery to about 1/2

Plugged in Power Jolt to CIG adapter, charger displayed the "green" ring (per manual)

Plugged in the side connector onto iPhone it turned into a "red" ring (again per manual). That was good sign, until over 1hr later I noticed the "red" ring never went away (never changed back to "green" when iPhone is fully charged). Plus the fact I made sure all "apps" were closed and I didn't use the phone as well.

Now it shouldn't take over 1hr to top off 1/2 drained battery. I know this because it takes just about 15~20min via USB off any of my laptops. I tried this twice, just to be sure and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Could be defective, or isn't "fully" compatible to a certain point. It did charge the battery to full, but no indication from the ring whatsoever. :rolleyes:

13. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well, it could technically be fighting an uphill battle. If you were traveling in the car, you could have been going in and out of 3G and wireless areas, and if you have your main set to push through yahoo or check every 15 minutes, then your battery is ALWAYS being used a little.. so everytime the charger is about done,t ehres still a LITTLE juice that was being used.

Try it while sitting still and the main set the manual and see if that works..

14. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Yeah - I don't do the "push" deal, not for me. The 3G could make some sense though, but heck at that rate it will never "fully" charge then...;)

15. redman042 macrumors 68020

I use the PowerJolt and haven't had any problems. The bummer is I had to toss my old MonsterCable charger that had a line out jack for my tape adapter, but isn't compatible with the iPhone. Apparently there's no product out there that can charge the iPhone AND provide a line out. So now I have to use the headphone jack and adjust the volume. :(

16. Kitrik macrumors member

The scosche power adapter I got provided some nice line noise with my iPods. Could've been defective, but I've heard that that is a common problem for a lot of chargers. Beware.

17. EasyCheese macrumors newbie

You sure about that?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

You will still get the "This accessory is not made...." screen, but it does work, and works well at that.

18. skorpien macrumors 68020

I have the Griffin Power Jolt off of the Apple website, and it's working great. I've noticed that the ring isn't as accurate as I'd hoped it would be (shows green while still charging when iPhone goes to sleep sometimes), but I can always check to see if the charging symbol changes to the charged symbol. I think it's a problem with the trickle charge being improperly detected? I personally like the fact that pretty much any USB device can be charged with it so it's pretty versatile. And I also like the iPod dock connector cable that comes with it. But the thing I like most about it compared to other chargers I have had in the past for previous phones is the fact that the fuse is easily accessible. Others need you to unscrew it to gain access to the fuse, but this charger has a slot that the fuse sits in and can be easily replaced.

I haven't had this for any great length of time (read 1 week), but it seems to be doing a well enough job for me. And at $20, it's not that bad a deal.

19. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Get the PowerJolt. Some guy is selling them for $14.99 shipped on eBay right now.

I've used mine since the original iPhone came out and it still works great. I like the fact it uses a USB slot since my wife can also charge her BB Curve with it.

20. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

21. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I have a gut feeling Griffin is holding out for a GPS solution.