What is the best car charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by heyyitssusan, May 18, 2014.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I've been looking at different stores, and there are so many to choose from. Is it better to get the higher watt one (8-10) cause it will charge faster? Show me the best ones you use.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Generic USB adaptor, and standard lighting cable.

3. Zmanbaseball2, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

What is the best car charger?

5 watts=1 amp
    iPhones charge at 1 amp/5 watts
    iPads charge at 2.1-2.4 amps/10-12 watts

I recommend this:
    Skiva Apple Certified Two Port (4.2 Amps / 21W / Fastest) Car Charg... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H0OC91M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_BlEEtb1R62R29

Or this combo:
    Anker 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Tec... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8M4IMK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_UmEEtb050VBWY
    iXCC Apple MFI Certified Lightning Cable 3ft (Three Feet) Element... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J46VVKE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_dnEEtb0H47MX3

I have all the products above and they all work very well!

4. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

5. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Anker dual 2.1amp ports with Tech Armor lightning cable. Rock solid.

6. whitete macrumors member

I have this one for my iP5S: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009B06VXU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=13GXGWRPBD549&coliid=IW8WRYPM2R62M[/URL] It is fast. But anything by Anker is great as well. And anything Zmanbaseball2 recommends is spot on. :D

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

That's another great lightning cable I can recommend to!

----------

Thanks!!! I am a reviewer and have many of these products.

8. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

Like that guy said above, there are dozens of options. Choose one that just has a whole bunch of 5 star reviews on amazon, and go with it. I mean, it's a charger. How good/bad can any one be?

9. larrygornick macrumors member

I agree. There are like hundreds of options. And because of competition, you can pretty much assume that the seller WANTS to make a good sale. They'll probably help you if you have any issue.

10. nickyD410, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

I've used a griffin one and haven't had any problems.

11. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

Wow, this thread was a few months dead, and brought back to life. Cool. Since Posting here in May, I have purchased a Techmatte Car Charger that I find to be the best one I've encountered. It charges very quickly, moreso than the generic ones that I've used before.

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

That is a generic car charger...

13. lysola macrumors member

I was given a car charger for my 4S by a friend because they didn't want it anymore. Can't tell if it's just total garbage or if all chargers are as slow as this one. If I leave my phone charging while I'm driving, 20 minutes of charge time only gives me about 7-10% charge AT BEST. I feel like that's unacceptably slow. Are most car chargers like this or do I just have a dud?

14. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Are you using a navi app or an app that uses lots of power? It you are looking for a fast charging, i recommend:
    Anker 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Tec... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D82O68Y/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_i-J7tb0H7PHDJ

15. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I use the Belkin car charger. It carries the higher amp rating, so I can use it for an iPad as well. The plug fits nicely into my car's 12V outlet. Had trouble with an older Belkin iPod dock fitting too tightly into the same socket (and then fitting too loosely after I removed a rubber washer from the plug), but this one was a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Been using it for about a year now. Worked flawlessly until a couple of months ago I started seeing occasional warnings about the Lightning cable not being a supported accessory. So far, I've just unplugged and replugged the cable into the charger and it will work fine. But, I'm not sure if those warnings are a sign of something wearing down or whatever.

16. lysola macrumors member

No, my charger is just an old POS I think it the most likely answer. I've been looking to invest in a more up-to-date car charger and that rapid charger looks like a good bet. Most of my drives are short and require a speedy charge, so thanks a lot.