What is the best case that works with Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LTMK, Sep 10, 2011.

1. LTMK macrumors member

I just got an IPAD 2 for my daughter's birthday. of course I got the smart cover also. Need your help to choose a back cover to protect the back.

I prefer something that is very slim and transparent. thanks for your help!!

2. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

3. LoveSteve macrumors member

Well I had used the Switcheasy Coverbuddy before.. really low quality case... also it still have the Smart cover problem - accidential detachment!! Lots of my friends had the iPad 2 damaged because of the smart cover accidentially detached from the ipad 2.

the coverbuddy only has a cutout for the smart cover and the original smart cover problem still there.

I prefer Zum sc ultimate... it has a special smart cover lock to secure the smart cover hinge with the ipad 2 body. It maintains the slim and the original ipad2 design.

Actually this cool video attracts me to this cool case
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibT5CEvKoHM

good luck

Attached Files:

4. LTMK thread starter macrumors member

I had used switcheasy before.. the quality is :mad:

never heard about the brand ZUM.. .where can i find it?? how is the quality when compare to switcheasy?? or other brands??

the ZUM case is something that I am looking for... but just not sure about the quality and where can i buy it

5. preppy macrumors member

preppy

THIS.

Just got ours two days ago. It's a brilliant design.

Amazon has them for $20 (plus shipping if you don't have prime).

http://www.amazon.com/ZUM-SC-ULTIMA...1CH0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315690807&sr=8-4

The only review on there is by me. No don't work for them nor do I know them. I just like to promote a good product when I can.

6. LTMK thread starter macrumors member

Looks like the zum case worth a try... just ordered it from amazon... wow... only $19.90... anyway just return it if its not good :D no risk...

hope its a good case

7. guitarguy316 macrumors regular

When you fold the smart cover back with the zum case, does the smart cover attach to the magnet in the back of the iPad?

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Don't know about the Zum case but the back cover from Speck SmartShell has a metal strip on the case that attracts the SmartCover when it's folded back. Can't recommend it wholeheartedly though.

() After a couple of months the glue holding the metal strip to the case failed. Fortunately, the strip stuck to the SmartCover so I was able to recover and re-glue it. Still an annoyance.

() I have the clear case. I found that it tends to show scratches rather easily in light use. May not be as noticeable for covers that are not transparent.

I have another clear case that I prefer. Manufactured by ENKI (www.enkigear.com) in the US, it's a bit thicker and better finished than the Speck. Less expensive, as well. ($20).

The Enki case does not have the metal strip. However, I glued a thin metal strip (from a feeler gauge) to the back of the case. Works perfectly to hold the SmartCover in place.

9. LoveSteve macrumors member

Well I think ZUM SC case is one of the few (may not be the only one) have a smart cover lock. The smart cover lock interlocks the smart cover hinge with the ipad 2 body to prevent the smart cover accidentally detach from the ipad 2 and cause damage. I believe this is one of the main reason for ipad 2 damages.

The Enki case or other cases in the market right now does not have a similiar design and most of them only have a cutout for the smart cover hinge to attach. The detachment problem still exist. if you dont want to take this risk, ZUM case is the best choice.

check out this video, then you know what i am talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibT5CEvKoHM

good luck!!

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Point well taken. I haven't had the problem you note, probably because I trained myself from the start not to use the SmartCover as a "handle." Since I'm usually among the most absent-minded and clumsiest of users, I'm surprised. The ZUM design appears to be a very good idea.

11. LTMK thread starter macrumors member

agree ... but not a bad idea to get the insurance for Free right :D

12. honney3211 macrumors newbie

The Kate spade Polka Dots ipad 2 smart cover mate is great.

13. NewMac01 macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your suggestions. I got two cases from Best buy, incipio smart feather and belkin snap shield.

The snap shield.. just have a gap for the smart cover to attach... just not comfortable with it.. my .. so return it

the incipio smart feather is better... It has a hinge to lock the smart cover in place which i like the most. I also like the transparent look but don't know why they left the top and bottom section exposed to scratch. It will be a perfect case if the top and bottom section of the iPad2 is also protected. That area is easily scratched when I put the iPad into my purse.

Too bad I couldn't find the zum case that was recommended by other people. So I stay with the incipio for now even though its not the best choice.

Thanks for all your help!!

14. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I think the zum is found on amazon's site. Another case like it that has been recently favorably reviewed on ilounge.com is the smartmatec from www.Macally.com

It also locks the smart cover on and covers the ipad better than some of the others like smart feather.

15. honney3211 macrumors newbie

This is the Kate spade Polka Dots ipad 2 smart cover mate I'm using now.

Attached Files:

16. LTMK thread starter macrumors member

Agree but you know my daughter is 5 year old, so i have to make a decision for her.

Got the zum case today.... looks good ... will post a detail review later

17. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Wait. You just got your 5 year old daughter an iPad?????? Wow. Well I guess that's your decision but I would get some type of waterproof otter box type case on there.

18. LTMK thread starter macrumors member

I understand but I would like to take this opportunity to train my daughter about responsibility. Ipad2 is something that she really wants. She has make a lot of "accomplishment" before she can get the ipad2. I told her the ipad2 will break if she doesn't take care of it properly.

I know I am taking a risk, but its a good opportunity to teach her.

19. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Apologies for the threadjack but I suspect you may get some abuse for your decision. And before that happens I'd like to provide a little support. Purchased an iPad 2 for my family (three of us including a six year old) in large part because my daughter was enchanted with the iPad her uncle brought on a visit.

As it turned out, I use the iPad far more than my daughter. It has served as a reward for good behavior and has turned out to be a great way to teach her to be careful with fragile objects. I've been careful to protect the iPad (as much from my own clumsiness as my daughter's) with a tough back cover. All in all, it has been a very successful purchase.

20. dqfayi macrumors regular

little girl? Hello Kitty iPad 2 case sounds very good, as i used for more than three months ago.