What is the best chat/web/computer monitoring software for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by noles200, Jun 29, 2009.

1. noles200 macrumors member

I have two boys and want to make sure I'm being a responsible parent by monitoring what they are doing. With facebook in particular it is hard to monitor chat. I use the share screen function when I'm home but when I'm not home I don't know what they are doing online.

Any suggestions on what a good monitoring program would be?

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Better conveyance of parental authority and leading by a proper example so that they don't WANT to go anywhere you wouldn't want them to be?

Being Big Brother is going to make them rebel more.

3. noles200 thread starter macrumors member

I hear you. We do lead by example but even the best kids go paces we wouldn't want them to be.

I don't think being "big brother" makes them rebel more. If you've brought your kids up correctly they understand why you do these things. Constant communication with your family is important and it is important to help keep kids on the right track.

4. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I understand your point.

If you have Leopard installed, use those tools first. If you want to be more "hardcore" look into open source developments.

I can give you a few ideas, but to be perfectly honest, there's not much you can do. Before I went off to college, my dad "cut" my wireless off, but I was able to force it back on with a few "tricks." It's best to just teach them on how to be on the Internet properly and block known bad sites.

5. noles200 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Lt. You make a great point about there not being much you can do. I know that. I want to help them as best I can. I don't want to block my kids from the internet, chat, ect. I think it is such a wonderful thing to be exposed to so many great things. However, there are things out there I don't want them exposed to because I don't feel they are old enough to make a good judgement. They are kids. When they are old enough, college years, then they will have to shape their lives by what the do but I hope that I can help shape their lives well enough before that. :)

What I'd like to do (and what I've always done) is use it as a tool to teach them right from wrong. If they've gone to a site or seem to be using language in chat sessions that are unacceptable to us we want them to know. You make hundreds of choices every day and all a parent like me wants is to make sure we are helping our kids make correct choices. I've always learned from my mistakes and I believe my kids will be the same way.