What is the best codec pack to play videos in Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidcmc, Nov 5, 2009.

1. davidcmc macrumors 6502

I've just tried DivX for Mac (www.divx.com) but found out that it doesn't support .srt subtitles.
    I'm already using Flip4Mac for .wmv files, but I'm looking for a codec pack to play all other codecs like Divx, Xvid, H.264 with subtitles support for .sub and .srt files.

I know that Perian is a good one, but is there anyone better?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Not sure there are any petter packs. You can collect a lot of them separately, but don't know of any packs...and I think the newest version of Perian has the option to plays subs that are included in the folder with the video file.

get Perian...just google it...you'll find it. It has a great load of codecs for divx, mkv, and many other formats.

3. davidcmc thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got it. Works great and is very simple to use.
    However, it doesn't have any option to change subtitles style (font, color, position, size etc).
    Well, the default one works great and seems to be just the way I want.

It's doing exactly what I wanted:

A decoder for media players that use Quicktime codecs to use with Toast 10 Titanium.
    To burn a DVD movie, Toast firstly decodes the video file using a codec from Quicktime (like Perian) and only then encodes the video for DVD format. The result is that, while decoding the video with Perian codecs, Toast encodes the movie with hard-coded subtitles (because Perian decodes the video with subtitles).
    Working great! :D