Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have the Enermax Aeolus. I think it helps keep the laptop a bit cooler (a few degrees Celsius ) but mostly the advantage of this laptop stand is that it keeps my laptop off the desk. I have spilled coffee on my desk before and my MBP is protected from the liquid thanks to the laptop stand.

Attachments

• Enermax-Keeps-Your-Notebook-Cool-with-New-Aeolus-Premium-Pad-2.jpg
    Enermax-Keeps-Your-Notebook-Cool-with-New-Aeolus-Premium-Pad-2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 188

mcb001982

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Manhattan NY
wow that is pricy.

$18 is pricy? I mean at the end of the day it is a nice machined metal along with appropriate padding to protect the desk surface and laptop.

I think it is price correctly IMO. Not sure if I would buy them but if I found myself needing something to elevate just the backside of my devices I would pick them up without thinking.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't think either solution would help since the rMBP has its vents on the front sides.

Good point, and i will try my Zefyr 2 with the Retina, looking or more sensibly feeling the airflow from the Zefry 2 while it`s running with my Late 2011 15" MBP the airflow does reach the front sides where the Retina`s air intakes are, so it may work better still with the Retina`s

vojoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
I would never buy a cooling pad for anything I owned. I would at least HOPE that they engineered it so it wouldn't need one in the first place...

Yes in a perfect world everything you buy would work perfectly 100% of the time. Unfortunately that isn't the way the world works. Macs are not known for their cooling systems. If I just "HOPE" the computer is engineered perfectly and it isn't then I am the one having to buy a new computer. A cooling pad is nothing more than cheap insurance if it actually works. Unfortunately there is a bunch of cheap crap on the market that doesn't work. Hence this thread to find out if there is actually anything out there that is proven to cool down the new rMBPs.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Yes in a perfect world everything you buy would work perfectly 100% of the time. Unfortunately that isn't the way the world works. Macs are not known for their cooling systems. If I just "HOPE" the computer is engineered perfectly and it isn't then I am the one having to buy a new computer. A cooling pad is nothing more than cheap insurance if it actually works. Unfortunately there is a bunch of cheap crap on the market that doesn't work. Hence this thread to find out if there is actually anything out there that is proven to cool down the new rMBPs.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I really doubt you will need one unless your fans are going 6000 RPM all day every day.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
many other laptops have vents on the bottom making the gimic of these cooling pad plasuable to being doing something, with the mbp the hindge is where the air flow is so not really needed they only thing i try and avoid is having it on my bed or a soft surfice that can block that hinge, but on a hard surface the hindge should be ok

vojoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
So I went to Best Buy yesterday to see what they had and bought the Targus Chill Mat Plus to try out since Best Buy has a great return policy. I monitored the temps before the pad and after the pad. The end result was the cooling pad increasing the temps by 10-12 degrees Celsius. I believe this is due to the exhaust vents on the cooling pad being directly beneath the intake vents on the sides of the rMBP. I will be taking this one back later today.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I know this may sound like overkill but I edit movies so I need this sort of thing.

83214d1213802001-car-sounds-like-jet-engine-shutting-off-geengine-763893.jpg

You just sit yourself at the other end of the laptop cooler, and plug the cooler into your Mac's USB port to power the fan up. It gets a bit noisy, but it's completely worth it for the cooling.

Plus, depending on load, I've been known to reach mach 2 with this cooler, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

ops_case2_big.jpg

The small San francisco startup that makes these coolers actually individually hand-machine each fan blade, so you get perfect rotation and balanced speeds that can give up to 0.05ºC of extra cooling.

I used to notice that my MacBook got hot when I put it under load (Apple at their trickery again) but this cooler seriously solved all my problems, and I now run at about 70ºC instead of 73ºC. Well worth the investment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do another clean install of Mountain Lion, and then I'm going to defragment my SSD collection.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
If you're in an office with AC, just use something to slightly elevate the rMBP and get a small, quiet fan that blows across the laptop (and you, if you need a small breeze.)

If you're at home without much AC, then get a cooler that blows air AT the laptop. Most coolers suck air away from the laptop which doesn't provide adequate cooling. I've tried both, the one I kept blows air at the bottom of the laptop and keeps the fans from going on overdrive. A small fan works at home too, just put it on a side table...

vojoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
I know this may sound like overkill but I edit movies so I need this sort of thing.

You just sit yourself at the other end of the laptop cooler, and plug the cooler into your Mac's USB port to power the fan up. It gets a bit noisy, but it's completely worth it for the cooling.

Plus, depending on load, I've been known to reach mach 2 with this cooler, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

ops_case2_big.jpg

The small San francisco startup that makes these coolers actually individually hand-machine each fan blade, so you get perfect rotation and balanced speeds that can give up to 0.05ºC of extra cooling.

I used to notice that my MacBook got hot when I put it under load (Apple at their trickery again) but this cooler seriously solved all my problems, and I now run at about 70ºC instead of 73ºC. Well worth the investment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do another clean install of Mountain Lion, and then I'm going to defragment my SSD collection.

How much does it cost? Do you have a link to the company's website?

EthosX

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
Please people all what u posted here is junk and not cooling pads !!

THIS IS PROPER COOLING PAD DOWN BELOW :D

Made from top quality fans : Noctua Arctic C. and Nexus

Best fans are middle arctic ones .. quietest and best air blow

dsc02562sv.jpg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Please people all what u posted here is junk and not cooling pads !!

THIS IS PROPER COOLING PAD DOWN BELOW :D

Made from top quality fans : Noctua Arctic C. and Nexus

Best fans are middle arctic ones .. quietest and best air blow

Be careful using that on your lap. :D

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've seen several laptops over the years that required some sort of additional cooling when doing anything more complex than websurfing/checking email, so I wouldn't call the coolers "pointless". Those have mainly been the large desktop replacement models with dedicated GPUs that chew up battery and produce a lot of heat, but they still need additional cooling.

I highly doubt that it was required. I have yet to see a notebook computer that required additional external cooling. Several of my MacBook Pros have gotten hot but they all were still easily within the manufactures specifications.

It is also worth pointing out that Apple does not sell laptops. They sell notebooks or portable computers.

kenosecon

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
I would never buy a cooling pad for anything I owned. I would at least HOPE that they engineered it so it wouldn't need one in the first place...

you may hope whatever you want but humans are not perfect neither apple is.

they make mistakes like everyone and they made a huge mistake in the mbpr.

if you do not own one then shut the **** up.

if you close the mbpr you may think the air goes from the back but after you open it you realise that the air actually goes just between the monitor and the keyboard. that is why it is so HOT. A cooling pad would be appreciated but who knows how they can make such a device having the air flowing at the front of the laptop.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
you may hope whatever you want but humans are not perfect neither apple is.

they make mistakes like everyone and they made a huge mistake in the mbpr.

if you do not own one then shut the **** up.

if you close the mbpr you may think the air goes from the back but after you open it you realise that the air actually goes just between the monitor and the keyboard. that is why it is so HOT. A cooling pad would be appreciated but who knows how they can make such a device having the air flowing at the front of the laptop.

I own one.

chmodme

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I use my MBP in clamshell mode in a BookArc. The BookArc seems to keep it nice and cool, elevating the exhaust vent about 1.5" above my desk.

I also use a BookArc...but I think you have yours upside down?

The MBP vents from the rear of the case, so having the rear at the top when using the BookArc allows the heat to be removed with convection as well as the fans.

?

chmodme

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have the Enermax Aeolus. I think it helps keep the laptop a bit cooler (a few degrees Celsius ) but mostly the advantage of this laptop stand is that it keeps my laptop off the desk. I have spilled coffee on my desk before and my MBP is protected from the liquid thanks to the laptop stand.

Just this weekend while scouring the local computer markets i found a similar CoolerMaster Notrepal E1 cooling pad, it too like the Enermax has a single very large fan 23CM (9") running at 800 rpm, and most importantly moving a significant 91.25 CFM, this is far more than most other powered coolers i have tried.

top1.jpg

top4.jpg

top3.jpg

The fan by far takes up the majority of the coolers body.

As it`s designed for a PC portable i didn't have any high expectations; the cooler runs quiet as in silent, perfect size for a 15" MBP, has USB expansion, single speed with on/off button and lifts the machine a good couple of inch`s of the desk. I chose my Late 2011 2.4 i7 15" MBP, it`s connected to an external display, runs 24/7 and is generally north of 70C (158F) on any given day. Any software solution only results in the MBP doing a fair impression of a "Turbojet" which we all love to loath, as workloads rise and temperatures increase.

The important part cooling well as ever with a Mac`s a mixed bag, the elevation definitely helps versus being flat on the desk. I have little expectation of any cooler reducing a Mac`s internal temperature significantly, what the Notepal E1 was able to do was systematically reduce fan rpm by a good 1K without any increase in internal temperatures, which is a big step forward. With this cooler and a software solution (UltraFan/SMC Fan Control) it`s possible to have a moderate load and a relatively quiet system, and that counts for a lot. The major downside to the Notepal E1 is the size, it`s clearly designed to be "planted" on the desk. when using the 10 degree angle i use a piece of that rubber you can buy for car dashboards, just to ensure the MBP doesn't slip and slide about, just seems prudent with such an expensive notebook perched on the edge of the desk. The Notepal E1 also unusually blows a stream of cool air out of the front to cool the hands which is well unusual, nevertheless not unpleasant on a hot day.

I still rate the Moshi Zefyr 2 as the best powered cooler for a Mac portable simply due to it`s continuous horizontal air flow, however the pricing and availability make it a tough choice. 1K reduction in fan speed may not sound that big a deal, however if that keeps the Mac below the "Turbojet' threshold then it`s a worthwhile investment for anyone seeking the quieter life :p

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I want a cooling pad for retina mbp, 2013.

- Designed, if possible, especially for mac, nice design, maybe aluminum etc
- Noiseless
- Effective in cooling the mbp
- Preferable, from a well-known manufacturer

Is there such ones?
Most of them are for pc laptops, ugly, not identical dimensions (bigger or smaller), shabby, and noisy.

maartendc

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013

- Noiseless

Is there such ones?
Most of them are for pc laptops, ugly, not identical dimensions (bigger or smaller), shabby, and noisy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1741301142&pf_rd_i=507846

I hear good things about this one. Looks nice, like it fits the macbook.
Coolermaster is a quality brand, has been around for a long time.

But actually, I have been reading reviews on a bunch of cooling pads, and most of them seem pointless in terms of cooling looking at benchmarks.

You get about a 4°C drop in temperature from just raising up the back of the laptop (such as a stand without fans).
There is only an additional 1-2°C drop in temp from adding fans.
Definitely for the Macbook pro, with no vent holes in the bottom, only on the sides and back, the difference from adding fans would be minor.

So I am just going to use two decks of playing cards to raise the back of the notebook. Works just as well, and is free!

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
If you're in an office with AC, just use something to slightly elevate the rMBP and get a small, quiet fan that blows across the laptop (and you, if you need a small breeze.)

If you're at home without much AC, then get a cooler that blows air AT the laptop. Most coolers suck air away from the laptop which doesn't provide adequate cooling. I've tried both, the one I kept blows air at the bottom of the laptop and keeps the fans from going on overdrive. A small fan works at home too, just put it on a side table...

After trying several laptop cooler pads that sit under the Macbook, I found that by setting a small and quiet fan off to the right side of my desk provides enough cooling to keep my fingers cool and the top of the keyboard from getting too hot. Not that it is an oven, but a few degrees cooler makes working on it much better for me.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

ops_case2_big.jpg

Holy Cr@p! That is the funniest thing I have seen on MR in a long time. Thanks for the belly laugh!:p

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013

- Noiseless

Is there such ones?

The Rain mStand is incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.