Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeflywing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Hi all,

I am currently using the ATI 4870 on my mac pro; it seems like a little slow while rendering intensive graphic. I would like to upgrade a better Cuda support video card? What are the good options? Is Quadro FX 4800 the best card in the market?

Thank you!

Chris

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The Quadro 4800 might give you better performance, I'd wait until the next Quadro that should be coming soon.

As an aside, assuming your CUDA and motion graphics questions are connected, what software are you using? I'm not aware of any motion graphics software on the market that uses CUDA. The only Adobe app that uses CUDA is Premiere.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
The Quadro 4800 might give you better performance, I'd wait until the next Quadro that should be coming soon.

As an aside, assuming your CUDA and motion graphics questions are connected, what software are you using? I'm not aware of any motion graphics software on the market that uses CUDA. The only Adobe app that uses CUDA is Premiere.

i just spoke with Nvidia yesterday because i was inquiring about the new Quadro FX 4000 for Mac and when we might see it. the Quadro rep told me that he can't guarantee that this card will be released for osx. in fact, he seemed pessimistic about it.

by the way, i would not waste my money on a Quadro FX 4800 either. the problem is Apple. they need to write better drivers for it. the Nvidia rep i spoke to said that they send the base driver to Apple, and that's it. Apple takes over from there. its Apple's fault that there are no decent workstation graphics cards for osx. the best thing we can do is leave mac pro feedback online at apple's website, and call apple to let them know your one of those professionals that wants to use a mac pro for work that requires a good workstation graphics card.

Jmx

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
the best thing we can do is leave mac pro feedback online at apple's website, and call apple to let them know your one of those professionals that wants to use a mac pro for work that requires a good workstation graphics card.

Exactly.... the more demanding full support for high end nVidia/CUDA cards the better chance of it happening.
Also... tell them you will go PC/Windows unless you can't get nVidia/CUDA in the Mac Pro soon.

I've just used their feedback form telling them just that :cool:

Here's the link for the Mac Pro product feedback form!

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.