What is the best database/spreadsheet program for large data files...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yuzu Design, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Yuzu Design macrumors newbie

Hello, first post here,

I am looking for a good database/spreadsheet program that better fits my needs than numbers / excel.

I do a lot of website data work, importing/exporting inventory, customers, emails, affiliates, etc. I need a program that can handle 500,000+ row files and still respond fine. I have tried Numbers and Excel and both have a size restriction and get wayyy laggy when I use them.

I am looking for something that can have way less features too. No formulas, formatting, or any other goodies are needed. I just need to sort and delete and export the data to csv, etc.

Integration to Numbers and Excel is not needed. hahah I'm basically looking for a program that would be made back in the 80s :)... but can run on my 10.6 iMac i5 and can chew humongous files.

Any ideas?

TJ

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have you looked into MySQL? Perhaps overkill for you but handles large databases fine.

http://www.mysql.com/

3. Yuzu Design thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. Most/100% of the exports I take directly out of MySQL. I need something to quickly sort and delete + find and replace data. I could use MySQL... but it would be slower and over kill... like you said.

Thanks for the idea.

TJ

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Databases and spreadsheets are completely different animals. Some users force-fit spreadsheets into the role of DBMS. However, that will not work with half a million contacts. You need a database management system. Apple's FileMaker subsidiary produces professional FileMaker family of database management systems. Another superb choice is 4D. There are also opensource solutions like MySQL.

5. Yuzu Design thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I just don't want to grow up and learn the world of DBMS... but hey.. its prob time.

Thanks for your post.

TJ