What is the best desktop email program for Mac besides Apple Mail?

ethanwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
I have three gmail accounts and my iCloud account. Is there any email program out there that is widely considered better than Apples?

I have TONS of emails that I don't delete (so I can search back on them later if needed) and Apples Mail is just getting super slow.

Anyone?

halledise

macrumors 65816
a suggestion that may or may not make a difference:
keep your iCloud + most often used Gmail a/c in Mail App and delete the other 2.
access those 2 less-used Gmail a/cs directly via Safari.

in Mail App, delete any old drafts that are still lurking, scroll down thru your a/c folders [hit the show/hide button top left] and delete spam/junk mail then empty trash.
finally, archive everything except the current week (or Month) - [select all, Message, Archive] - all will still be available via the search at the top right of Mail window.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I have three gmail accounts and my iCloud account. Is there any email program out there that is widely considered better than Apples?

I have TONS of emails that I don't delete (so I can search back on them later if needed) and Apples Mail is just getting super slow.

Anyone?
None. But you may wish to try Outlook or Postbox just in case.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Asking what "the best" email client is, is a task in futility. The question itself is wholly subjective to the individual reader. What is best for one, is not the best for another. All clients achieve the same end, sending and receiving email. Some do it with a little more or less flair and have some nice options to them.

To address what you're asking though...

Normally I view my Gmail in the web browser but I have a couple other accounts that I use Mozilla Thunderbird for.

ethanwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
archive everything except the current week (or Month) - [select all, Message, Archive] - all will still be available via the search at the top right of Mail window.
What exactly does archiving do?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What exactly does archiving do?
Archiving is just a name for saving all emails into a different folder. Gmail gives about 10GB of storage space so you can save every email you get and archive them, thus keeping your inbox clean of emails you dont' need at the moment, but yet accessible when/if you do need them.