Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamanskyh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I have a white plastic MacBook with a Mini-DVI port and I'd like to connect it to my Samsung HD Television. I was thinking of buying the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and then buying a M/F VGA extender (my tv has a computer input port) but I'm a little worried about the quality. I have both a VGA and HDMI port available on my tv -- what is the best solution for me? What about price... HDMI cables can be expensive.

mrj205

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Virginia
I have a white plastic MacBook with a Mini-DVI port and I'd like to connect it to my Samsung HD Television. I was thinking of buying the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and then buying a M/F VGA extender (my tv has a computer input port) but I'm a little worried about the quality. I have both a VGA and HDMI port available on my tv -- what is the best solution for me? What about price... HDMI cables can be expensive.

I would get the Mini-DVI to HMDI adapter from monoprice. You can also find HDMI cables there on the cheap. Hope this helps.

shamanskyh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
How bad is the VGA quality??? Will I get true High Definition from my MacBook?

EDIT: Monoprice's prices are so cheap there's no reason not to go with HDMI. Thanks for the tip!!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Again, every TV is different with respect to VGA input. My 1080p Samsung for instance will only accept upto 1366x768 via VGA, but the Visio we have at work will take 1920x1080 via VGA.

shamanskyh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Audio

I'm thinking about audio now. What is the best way to get audio from my macbook onto the TV? 3.5 mm stereo to 2RCA?

Oh and @NewMacbookPLZ: Thanks for the link to monoprice. I will probably buy from them. Good thing I checked the link though... you sent a *display port* to HDMI adapter.... I would have been pissed if I bought the wrong thing... l=:)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Check your TV for the appropriate audio input to couple with the video input.

Also, there's no DisplayPort adapters in the links I posted above 0_o

shamanskyh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Check your TV for the appropriate audio input to couple with the video input.

Also, there's no DisplayPort adapters in the links I posted above 0_o
I will be using 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug to 2RCA then.

And you're right. Sorry! I must have put the wrong thing in my cart by mistake. I feel like such an idiot.... lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.