What is the best flash for iPhone 6s+?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Feb 22, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I am looking for a flash for photo and possibly video taking. Which flash do you recommend?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Flash? You mean like to flash when you take a photo? How would it synchronize with the iPhone's camera?

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Best and only alternative I am aware of is the one built into the iPhone.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Yes, there are "flashes" made for smart phones (to clarify terminology.... flash is for still images, and must be synchronized to go off when the shutter clicks. Video requires steady illumination).

There are a number of products for iPhone that are intended to be used for both still and video images - they're typically small panels containing multiple LED lamps, and often plug into the headphone jack. I haven't used any, so I don't have recommendations.

When it comes to shooting video, think in terms of "supplemental lighting" rather than single-point illumination attached to the camera (which would cast strong shadows that move about as the camera moves).

5. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Any flash unit with an "optical trigger" would conceivably work, assuming you can get the iPhone's internal flash to fire. Yongnuo makes several.