What is the best free app to get back old RAM stats?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnnnw, Jun 3, 2014.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

New activity monitor got rid of the old "free memory" and all that. Having a "page outs" stat back too would be nice as well, if there is something that has that.

I want an application that can get those stats back so I know when I'm low on memory so I can decide whether or not I should upgrade my ram.

Does anyone know of something that goes either in the menu bar or just runs in the background to get this info back?

Thanks

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I use iStat Menus--all the info I will ever need.

3. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I'll check it out.

Would you mind checking in activity monitor how much memory it is currently using? I need something light.

Thanks a lot!

4. hologram macrumors 6502

If you're using Mavericks, try the free Memory Clean from the App store. It runs in the menu bar, the dock, or both. It has a breakdown of your memory usage and you can set a low memory level threshold so when your ram reaches this level it will automatically free up more.

I only have 4gb ram, and this really comes in handy.

5. johnnnw, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Is something like that safe to use to "clean memory"? I do have Mavericks but I read that app can mess with Mavericks built in memory organization.

I wonder if this does the same thing as "sudo purge"

6. hologram macrumors 6502

I've never heard that (but that doesn't mean it hasn't been said, only that it hasn't been said enough to become well-known).

I've been using it for quite a while, though, and it's been working great. It has an overwhelmingly positive rating on the App store, and if it was causing a general problem I'm sure we would have heard about it.

If you try it and don't like it, stop using it. :D

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Not much--between 10 and 20 MB--resides in menu bar--provides tons of useful info in addition to memory.

8. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Thanks, I just downloaded it. It looks amazing. Just what I needed plus more

Unfortunately it's $16. I'm in school and live on that for a week hahahha...I'll try the free for 14 days and decide if it's worth it.