What is the best free, data recovery program?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I am running snow leopard. I deleted from files and folders from my external drive. I emptied the drive. What are the best free programs to recover the files? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Free? There aren't any good ones. Try Data Rescue III.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

What about commercially available ones? Ideally at a reasonable cost.

I tried one program yesterday. It recovered 3 video files. When I played back each file, only half of the movie was shown. Anybody know the cause and a solution? Perhaps it was a free program with limitation?

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Hello, anybody knows the reason for the short recovered videos?

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The file was fragmented. To fully recover a file it needs to be continuous on the hard drive. If the file was fragmented it was broken into pieces across the hard drive. The recovery program can't know this so would each piece as a different file as it no longer has a map to go off of.

There will probably be many files with a random letter/number combo for a name. Within these may be the missing parts of the video. While there may be some advanced forensic techniques to reconstitute the files. I think that would go beyond some forum advice to needing years of advanced training in data recovery.

You can try Nucleus Kernel Macintosh. It is by far the most thorough and robust data recovery I have used but requires Windows to run even though it recovers Mac volumes.

For OS X native try Stellar Phoenix. I didn't find it as good but it is definitely the best I know of for OS X.

I would not bother with Data Rescue or Disk Warrior. They will not do a deep scan of the hard drive. They also won't do a scan if the partition table was lost and won't try to plow through disk errors.

Also $70 to $100 for data recovery software is very cheap compared to professional.

Edit: I also hope you are recovering files to a different drive than that external you wiped and that you have not been adding any files to it. Otherwise that data will be mangled fast.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is always good to remember, backups are almost always cheaper than data recovery

That said, good data recovery will cost you, so you have to weigh the cost of the value of the files vs. the value of your time and money to recover them

There are no easy or magical solutions to data recovery

You need to make sure you are not using the drive at all in any way
    That will compromise your ability to recover even further

You have already been given some good suggestions
    The question is, how much is it worth to you?

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info about fragmentation. To avoid the data being overwritten, I should use a recovery program that gives me the best chance of success. (I deleted those files from an external drive. I have not used the drive since then.) Given that I only have one shot, which program would you recommend?

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Data rescue 3

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Data Rescue III has saved my a$$ a couple times. Good program.

10. Edie Brickell macrumors member

I agree with velocityg4, Stellar Phoenix is better among all data recovery tools for Mac. There is no free software for data recovery in Mac. All softwares are free upto some extent, for complete recovery you need to pay. Stellar Phoenix also provide just free scan, recovery is paid.

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Quoted for truth. Files without backups are TEMPORARY.

12. Lisaain, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

Lisaain macrumors newbie

The best data recovery for a operating system upgrade is backup.

I highly recommend a botable clone made with either CCC or SuperDuper.

With the clone you can get right back to where you were immedately before you started the upgrade.

Pethum

13. Judith123 macrumors member

Maybe your video is a little be long, or has been overwritten. ;)

14. Fujitsu1522 macrumors newbie

Fujitsu1522

Disk Utility Accidental Erase

:confused:Hi there i have imac 27 i used disk erase by accident, thinking i was eraseing a card and not my 1tb hdd, is there anyway of getting the drive contents back, i used fast erase when i did it, urgent, Family pics on there...thanks in advance:)

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Data Rescue III is your best choice. Don't use the drive in the meantime. And make backups next time.

16. Fujitsu1522 macrumors newbie

Fujitsu1522

Thanks for your advice, I hope it works, I'll post back soon as, I'm having an heart op in six hours, so I'm going to be busy, resting###

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.