What is the best free internet browser

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Asipper, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Asipper macrumors newbie

What is the best free internet browser because safari keeps crashing:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Firefox for now. Potentially chrome in the future.

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

"What is the best religion I can join?"

You will get back as many replies, and they will make as much sense. Only difference is, there are a lot fewer browsers, so the adherents are that much louder...

Edit: Safari on Mac, FireFox on Windows.
    IE only if you wish to burn in hell like a heathen!!!

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I like Opera, but 1Password doesn't work with it, so I stick with Firefox.

6. Arn1499 macrumors member

I like chrome for pcs... safari for mac

Although firefox is great for both platforms

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

1 - Firefox
    2 - Flock
    3 - Opera
    4 - Safari
    5 - Camino

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

i really like Stainless. It is still in beta and the developers at mesadynamics are working fast toward a 1.0 release. It's speed is amazing and is much faster than safari or firefox. It's main feature is parallel sessions. Each tab runs as a separate process, making the browser run faster as a whole, and also making it a very light program. This makes it possible to log into the same website with different credentials in each separate tab.

Another cool features is the bookmark shelf. This is a little bar at the left side of the screen that allows you to drag website favicons from open tabs onto it and it saves them as bookmarks. This acts like a dock within the browser and makes getting to bookmarks very quick and easy. If you need the screen real-estate it has an auto-hide feature just like the dock.

It is still in development and the next big thing they are working toward is session restore, as well as keychain integration for passwords. I encourage you to try it because I really like it. It is not a production ready browser but is still very stable. It lacks main features that a browser would have so I would just use it as a test browser.

I actually use it as my main browser but that is because I like it enough to deal with the lack of all features.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I had forgotten about stainless. I initially tried it because I wanted to have different gmail addresses open at the same time. That feature didn't work at the time, but I did like the browser. Definitely worth a look.

10. Asipper thread starter macrumors newbie

fastest best for computer

11. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i was not aware of any browsers that actually cost money. My opinion is firefox but those are a dime a dozen, not really sure the point of the thread. My suggestion is download all the ones your curios about and try them out, you can have as many browsers installed as you want

12. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah it has gotten a lot better. They have weekly devs coming out on fridays that have improvements in them leading toward the next beta releases. If at the 1.0 release, it has all the features in a production ready browser, I could see it as a contender.

NOTE: For any of you interested in web standards, the latest release of stainless gets an 100/100 on the Acid 3 test.

13. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

14. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

i hate firefox. My secondary browser is stainless. its based on the chromium project and is blazing fast

15. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Thanks for that it looks like a really nice browser but right now I like Firefox the most with the speed and the add ons.

ChrisN

16. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Firefox due to plugins like autofill and gestures.