What is the best gamepad that is compatiable for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MattMK45, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MattMK45 macrumors regular

I would like to invest in a controller for mac, but predictably most of the market is for pc gamers so I would like to hear from anyone who thinks their's is a good contender. The factors it must have is that it needs no drivers, similar to a rudementary ps2/3 gamepad, and quite cheap. I have no preferences to whether it should be wireless or not but it sure would be nice if it were wireless.

2. aki macrumors 6502a

Windows sigh

there isnt a great answer. here is what i have used:

ps1 controller/n64 controller

both these are well made controllers, but these days we use more buttons that they have i guess. great for emus tho. you can buy usb adaptors for these gaming controllers. being usb sometimes they just work. not always, it depends on the game. in particular you can have problems configuring the digital joystick on the n64 controller in some software

macally controller

there are different versions of this, actually i dont know if its even sold any more? i had an early version. it worked ok but the digital controllers were terrible, almost pointless. might be better now.

xbox 360 wireless usb controller

this is hands down the best controller hardware i have ever used. really well built and comfortable to use. i really got it to play console-port type games under windows/bootcamp but there is a driver available for osx as well. i have to say though again how well the osx driver works is different from game to game.

its sad to say but generally if there is a game i want to use a controller with and i have a choice of buying the windows or the mac version, i usually get the windows version, just coz mostly they are specifically designed for the xbox controllers and so it all works right away

depressing news i know. i wonder if apple will ever make an apple controller. i guess not.

let us know if you find anything good!

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Pretty much any USB gamepad will work with a Mac. So, take your pick (although not every feature will necessarily work in OS X...the Rumblepad 2 does not, for example, actually rumble....).

--Eric

4. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks, I think I might buy one of those adaptors as I hardly use my ps1 controllers any more but I'm used to the feel of the controller