Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I have the iphone4s. I believe when i first got it used from someone, i got it mainly b/c i wanted it unlocked and it was tough to get a 4s one, I believe it was ios 7. I then do updates and i have IOS 8 now.

Is there a way to go back to IOS 7?

What is the best IOS?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple was signing iOS 7 for a week or so after iOS 8 release. Now I expect that door to have shut.

As for the best iOS - it depends on the hardware you have. If you have the latest generation iDevice then it's no doubt iOS 8. If you find yourself the owner of an older iDevice then the best performing iOS maybe the one it shipped with or a generation after that.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Could i go back to the ios 6 or 7 that i had? I believe it was ios 7 when i first got it but i upgraded it.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Does anyone here have my version of the iphone4s and it being okay with the ios 8?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You'll get used to it, iOS 8 has lots of handy features. Plus they'll probably speed it up in an update.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Does anyone here have my version of the iphone4s and it being okay with the ios 8?

While I don't personally have it many people do the majority of whom have upgraded. By the lack of threads complaining about iOS 8 on the 4S I would say it is working fine.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I'm confused. Why can't one download their IOS from 8 to 7 or 6? That doesn't make sense. Example if i have an old aim or itunes, i would just uninstall then install the old version. Can someone explain this?

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm confused. Why can't one download their IOS from 8 to 7 or 6? That doesn't make sense. Example if i have an old aim or itunes, i would just uninstall then install the old version. Can someone explain this?

Apple in their infinite wisdom stop signing the older software. Therefore, unless you act quickly after upgrading... then you are locked into the upgrade.

It is a means to phase out the old and make you buy the new... if you are unaware of the time constraints imposed in downgrading.

Normally it is anything from a few days to maybe a week. In this instance it took a week for them to close the doors on iOS7.

Frustratingly, there is nothing you can do at this point.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013

The reason that you can't downgrade to an old iOS version is because Apple is no longer signing them. Up until a week or two ago, it was possible to downgrade to iOS 7, because Apple was still signing it. Even if you have an old.ipsw file, you cant downgrade because Apple isn't signing older versions.

Basically, Apple puts a block on what you are able to run.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

I would also like to see such a feature but it's there only a short while (i think it was 1,5 week this time) after the release of the new iOS 7/8 version.

I'm still on iOS7.1.2 on my iPhone 4S and always wait with upgrading immidiately to a new iOS. I read reviews first and only then decide to upgrade or not.

Some arguments why Apple wants you to run the latest iOS version can be found in this article. It's mainly to offer all new features, it's more secure, the downside of it all could be that it has bugs if it's a new release (such as iOS8/8.01/8.02).

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008

I have the 4s (and an original iPad mini) and for me iOS 8 (8.0 and 8.02) are no worse, and in some ways better, than other x.0 versions of iOS. I have no major issues to report. I have seen an occasional graphical glitch, but that is about all.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.