iPad What is the best iPad solar charger on the market right now?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by east85, Jul 12, 2014.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Battery reserve is optional, just wondering. I only have the first gen mini so in theory only a 5w output would be required. Anyone here use one or have good advice concerning one?

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

3. Chparigi macrumors member

I bought a solar charger called a sunjack in a kickstarter campaign some months ago - it's really neat too, and it's really durable. I had it on a backpacking trip to Italy, and a week of festival here in Denmark, and it's working just fine :) Though i don't know the difference in quality from this one and the one #2 recommended.

You can find it here: www.gigawattinc.com/sunjack-portable-solar-charger/

4. JoshuaCornwell macrumors newbie

The best solar charger.

I personally own an Anker 14W solar charger. I have owned it for the last 4 months and so far I have been very happy with it. It charges my devices in the same amount of time as a standard wall outlet. The only con is that it doesn't have a battery and it can't charge laptops. But there is a solar charger that has a huge battery that is called Poweradd. I personally don't own it, but from the review I found on it, it looks pretty promising. Anyways I'll give you the the link. I hope this helps!
    http://www.portablesolargadgets.com/5-best-portable-solar-battery-chargers-reviewed/

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

That Anker 14w is bad ass! Thanks for posting.

6. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I can recommend Goal Zero products - I have many of them and I have had no problems.

One piece of advice, if you are charging your iPad directly from a solar panel, rather than from a rechargeable battery, then you need to make sure that the panel's power output is rated at least three times higher than the power requirement of the iPad. Solar panels never put out the power that they are rated at - it's usually 60-80% of their rated output.
    As an example, I have a 13 watt Goal Zero panel that claims to output 7.5 watts via a direct USB connection. However it needs constant direct sunlight to come close to that. I usually daisy chain two 13 watt panels to make sure the output never drops below 7.5 watts, as this will trigger the iPad to stop charging.

7. RGT70 macrumors newbie

Why need a solar charger? Some 10000+ amp external batteries are enough for most usage.