What is the best mac mini to buy??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jory88, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jory88 macrumors newbie

I want a mac mini and dont want to but i dont want to spend to much, whats the difference between G4 CPU and the CD CPU? would this spec be any good for movie watching and game playing? Mac Mini/CD 1.8/1GB/80HD/DRW/OSX

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You dont want a G4.

Whats your budget? Define "too much"?

And what kind of "games" are we talking about? Some basic net flash games? Or Call of Duty 4?

3. jory88 thread starter macrumors newbie

call of duty maybe and £300 second hand.... :s maybe... whats the difference between G4 CD and CS CPU's? whats the best??

4. jory88 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Mini Me macrumors member

jory88 have you looked at the used ones on www.cex.co.uk - they have some decent priced older Intel CPU ones ... but the older ones only have the GMA 950 graphics chip which isn't great for many of the latest games.

Pass on the old G4 models and get a CD (Core Duo - which means Dual Core) or C2D (Core 2 Duo - the latest Dual Core incarnation) if possible.

6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

for a start cod6 doesnt exist for mac, cod 4 or 5 are the latest.... [​IMG] i say get a cheap windows computer if its cod you wanna play

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

If you want to play any games, pass on the Minis with the Intel graphics. That 64MB worth of graphics doesn't go very far these days. They will do video fairly well, but mine tends to not like HD stuff. The again, I haven't run a lot of HD video on it, so I can't say for sure how it performs. Anyway, if you want to game on a Mini, you really need a model with the Nvidia 9400m graphics.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

As long as you dont care about those games, then any mini with an Intel chip.

If you want to play those games, get a PC.

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89