What is the best mouse to use with a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crash1234, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I've been using and loving a mighty mouse for a bit over a year now, and, although it's been a great mouse for me, I'm getting sick and tired of the scroll ball "locking up" if you will, and having to waste time rubbing on it to get it work again. I'm thinking I need to buy a more reliable mouse but am unsure what to buy. I really love the mighty mouse mostly because of the 360 scrolling ability. And I like that I can program the different buttons to do left/right click, expose, opening the dashboard etc. Is there any other mouse that is more reliable than a mighty mouse that can do the 360 scrolling and that has buttons that are programmable to do the functions that the mighty mouse does?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I have a logitech MX Revolutions, and I reckon it's a really good mouse. It has more than enough buttons (7) and wheels (2), it's laser so it's accurate and can be used on any surface, and its internal rechargeable battery lasts forever. If you don't mind using a USB port for its IR receiver, it's well worth the money.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple Mighty Mouse. You don't need a stupid dongle like the Logitech MX Revolution has. It operates on bluetooth and is much more comfortable imho.

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

I would say anything BUT the might mouse, I can't stand using mine.
    I would say a bluetooth logitech mouse.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

You're honestly the first person I've ever met that finds the Mighty Mouse more comfortable than the Revo. After using the Mighty Mouse for about a year, I bought an MX Revo today and my hand just wraps around the mouse perfectly. It's easily the most ergonomic mouse I've ever used.

As for the USB dongle, it's tiny, and I just plug it in to the USB ports on my ACD, so you can't really see it at all. Plus, the charging cradle is awesome. No more buying batteries!

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

One that fits your hand.

Just read any serious review on mouse or gaming mouse and you'll see what different people prefer.

7. Crash1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the non mighty mouse suggestions. I'll take a look. I already have a mighty mouse and am not happy with the fact that the scroll ball stops functioning on a daily basis, so I think I'm done with those for now. I'm usuing my functioning bluetooth mighty mouse now b/c the ball on the wired one will absolutely not work no matter what. Grrr. And let me tell you, the tracking the bluetooth one is like a zillion times worse than the wired one. What is wrong with these mice. So disgruntled with mighty mouse.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Works fine with mine. I actually tried using it at the maximum distance. A bit slow, but once you reconnect, it's normal again. So just try adding and re-adding the mouse in Bluetooth preferences. It doesn't matter how small the USB dongle is. I only have 2 USB ports total and I'm not wasting one for a mouse. If Logitech made a bluetooth version, I would have bought that instead. I actually like the MX Revolution, the mighty mouse is just a bit more comfortable for me. The bluetooth issue was the deciding factor.

9. crazycap macrumors member

it looks like whoever's calling out other a logitech fanboy for no good reason, is in fact a fan boy of you know who...

and MX revolution indeed has a bluetooth version
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/31/logitechs-mx-revolution-goes-bluetooth-at-the-fcc/

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i use the logitech Nano Vx with my 24" imac. i like all the buttons, plus with the "nano receiver" that plugs invisibly into my usb keyboard.

but i have also purchased steermouse to take advantage of all the buttons for expose. definitely worth it.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I've had my MX Revolution for a year now and couldn't see myself going back to what I was using before. It's the best mouse I've ever owned and the dongle works perfectly in the right side USB port on my iMac's aluminum keyboard. It sticks out all of an inch. It never gets in my way and I frankly never even notice it.

12. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

problem is it is ONLY sold with the MX 5500 desktop package, which is well over $100. I suppose you could get it and then sell the keyboard on ebay or something.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Really, the USB dongle is so tiny and unobtrusive, I really can't see how you could complain unless you're short on USB ports. It's not like the mouse is made for portability.

The MX Rev is great, but the rechargeable, non-replaceable batteries in Logitech mice frankly really suck. I've actually had a really positive experience with a Microsoft Explorer 2.0 mouse. It feels very sturdy, the software is nice (based on USB Overdrive, IIRC) and offers a comfortable acceleration curve, and two AA batteries last for months.

14. KelchM macrumors regular

My favorite mouse for the past 6 months or so has been the VX Nano.

I use the 'forward' button for window expose, the 'back' button for desktop expose, and the top button for dashboard. This can be done without installing any extra software by using the settings in the expose and spaces pref pane.

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, maybe you've just had a bad experience then because it has been 13 months with my MX in heavy daily usage now and just putting it in its cradle at night I've yet to see it drop below the full 4 bars of charge on its LED indicator. ;)

16. KelchM macrumors regular

My experience with mine was really bad. Battery never lasted anywhere near as long as the two AAA's in my VX Nano.

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well with the rechargeable batteries in the MX "never lasted anywhere near as long" really becomes a moot issue so long as you recharge daily. That is of course until you use up the recharge cycles of the battery.

My comments were to point out that I've apparently not come anywhere close to reaching the recharge cycle limit in 13 months of daily charging since it doesn't drop below full charge and I put it in heavy usage.

The one thing I absolutely hated about the Logitech mouse I had before the MX (the MX600 from the S530 desktop) was one day finding the battery lamp flashing and having to buy new batteries. That went for the keyboard as well. I'll always go rechargeable in the future but hey, that's just me. I'm glad you're happy with the VX. It's a nice mouse. :)

18. KelchM macrumors regular

I use NiMH AA/AAA batts. Keep a fresh set ready to go and you just swap them in and recharge the dead ones once every 3 months. Easier than trying to remember to return a mouse to a cradle when you aren't using it.

19. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

I'm not very big on the MM either. It looks nice but as far as utility goes its pretty undesirable for me. MX Revo is fine but all the button and knobs are too much for me. I really like the MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. They get something right now and then. :)

20. DavyC412 macrumors member

i bought an MX510 ages ago and it still works great, very comfortable. - its essentially the revo but its corded and the thumbrest is a bit smaller

i would stick with logitech rather than microsoft for mice and keyboards, they generally make the best peripherals.

have you ever heard of a USB hub?

21. Crevice macrumors regular

I am in the same boat, the 360 ball on my mighty mouse is pretty much useless now. I have to clean it every other day. All of your suggestions were good, but is there any other mouse that uses a 360 trackball like the mighty mouse?

EDIT: I see the mx revo has two scrolls, so it in fact does whst the mighty mouse does. I might have to pick this bad boy up.

22. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, it's awesome because of all the buttons, but the horizontal scrolling doesn't work as well as on the Mighty Mouse. You see, it's not a "360 degree" ball. You can do one at a time. Either vertical or horizontal. However, this thing is amazing, and far superior to the Mighty Mouse in every other way. The ergonomics, the super fast hyper scrolling technology, the tons of buttons, the secondary scroll ball on the left. It's awesome.

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Touche on the rechargeables NiMHs. That is an excellent idea. But still, unless you have a spare set fully charged (which is a good plan) then you gotta start charging them whenever they happen to die.

At first I used to forget to put my MX into the cradle overnights but now it's become a force of habit.

Anyway, I think we've established that there's no right or wrong about it. It's just what works for the individual. :)

24. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Actually, it is a 360 degree ball. It's basically a mouse ball upside down with two rollers. I love the mighty mouse, but I would argue against its ergonomics.