what is the best option?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by franciscogchin, Oct 15, 2008.

1. franciscogchin macrumors newbie

I want to buy a mac computer. I want to use the computer for music recording, maybe video editing, homework, internet, photoshop, and maybe some other stuff...I was wondering what is the cheapest option? I dont have much money. I heard the mini was good except for media use (video editing for the most part). so what do you guys think?

edit: I already have a power mac g4 that is in my room, but it isnt very good. I was thinking of upgrading it, but people told me its not worth it...

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

20" 2.4GHz iMac or 2.0GHz MacBook. Can't go wrong with either of them.

3. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

If you're on a budget, look at older models of the imac - I think they have better specs than the mini. Alternatively, look at a low-end mbp. The refurbished ones are 1349 - you might be able to find an older model (Santa Rosa) for closer to 1k; and there's not a lot of difference.

4. AlyMourad macrumors member

AlyMourad

just remember that the new macbook doesn't have firewire so if your setup in video editing requires capturing material from a video-camera then the macbook is not for you, the news ones at-least :mad:

5. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Also without the FW it limits the music side as well - FW works better for music attachments vs USB