What is the best Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eric55lv, Jan 25, 2008.

1. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

So I just got my iBook and I want to know what the best photoshop?

2. schreck macrumors regular

Well, most anybody would say that Adobe's Creative Suite 3 is the best overall Photoshop programme. My only concern would be whether or not this application would run natively on a Power PC processor such as the one on your iBook.

Do you plan on doing a lot of intense photo editing? I know that Adobe makes Photoshop Elements (99$) that runs native on a PPC processor. That'd definitely be something to look into if you're not 100 percent sold on CS3, which is rather expensive. (399+USD) Also, I think that Aperture (Apple's higher end editing software) is brilliant.

There are a few options. Describe to us what you'd most like to do with the software, and we'll hopefully be able to help you out a bit more.

Edit: Just noticed that your iBook is rated at 600mhz. How much ram do you have? Have you tried iPhoto? If so, what do you think?

3. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

I have 128mb of Ram and I use iPhoto on my iBook

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Photoshop CS3 is a Universal Binary and should therefore run on PPC machines. If it could not, it would not even run 'emulated/non-natively', since there is no such thing as an emulator for PPC programs.
    You do bring up a valid point of whether or not CS3 runs on a PPC g3 though.

Seeing as advancement in application upgrades usually requires better and faster hardware each time, I'd definitely not recommend getting CS3. For an iBook the Creative Suite 1 would run ok.
    Seeing as you have only 128 mb RAM, I doubt you would be able to Photoshop much anyway and would strongly recommend not using it at all or at least go with the earliest edition of it.
    If you really need the functionality that CS 2 and 3 brings, buy a new mac, because there's no way those apps will run satisfactorily.

5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I think Photoshop 6 was the last huge milestone. I know newspapers that still use it their workhorse version with CS2/CS3 being reserved for arty designs.

6. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The latest versions of photoshop on an iBook (G3 or G4 ?, you didn't mention) with only 128 MB of ram is a bad idea. Try to find an older version so you save a lot of money but be sure it matches the Os you are running. Older versions are Os 9 or should run under classic. Do not spend much money on photoshop if you are going to use that laptop, use it to max out your ram instead.

8. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

Its a G3 but not the clamshell

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Photoshop Elements. $80 bucks and it'll more than likely do everything you'll need.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think an upgrade of RAM is necessary if you're going to do much Photoshopping...

11. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv