what is the best router for a mac if..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davelanger, Jun 12, 2009.

1. davelanger macrumors 6502a

What is the best router to get for a mac, if I want to use it to get my ps3 and 360 online?

thanks

2. Traeger2591 macrumors member

Many people will probably tell you that the Dlink DIR-655 or DIR-855 will be good choices. I plan on buying one of these two soon. Both of them have great reviews, but really the only difference between the two is that the 855 will broadcast in dual band (2.4 and 5.0 ghz). This allows your consoles which use the wireless g signal to use the 2.4 frequency while your mac operates on the 5.0 frequency (which is faster) without interference.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'm pretty sure Airport express can hook up your gaming systems, since you're using your ethernet as wireless. It's awesome.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

The Airport Extreme Base Station would be the best for your setup.

6. Traeger2591 macrumors member

I do agree that the airport routers are very good routers, however be aware that they are not very compatible with your gaming systems. If you choose to go with the apple routers, I know at least for the xbox 360 that you will not be able to get you NAT settings to open very easily. There have been many complaints about this and not being able to change the setting from strict or moderate to open. Just letting you know.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have an AEBS that I'm very happy with but I don't game over its network.

Belkin has an N+ router that our base PX just started carrying that seems to have most of the features of the AEBS for ~1/2 the cost @ $87 USD but I personally like Linksys products.

8. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I was contemplating the same move and I have both the PS3 and 360 on the network. I had heard that the airport and time capsules had some sort of fox with regard to the NAT issue with the Xbox 360. Anyone else heard that?

9. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I hadn't heard about the Xbox 360 issues but I haven't been looking. I love my Airport Extreme Base Station, It's very effective.

10. Traeger2591 macrumors member

Yeah I've heard the same thing. I had been planning on getting an airport router but decided not to because of the incompatibility with the xbox 360. From what I've read, the xbox will still be able to get online, it's just that your NAT probably wont be set to open, so you might not a have a very good online experience with your xbox 360.

11. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone, I think i will go with the Dlink.