What is the best setup for multiple Apple TV's in one home?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by barrymac, Nov 27, 2008.

1. barrymac macrumors newbie

I was finding that my description data under Film and TV were only getting updated if I did a restore on my units. Also it was sometime showing that it did not see the network.
    The way I have my setup is my Mac Pro is going through Timecapsule and then streaming to both Apple TV's with no sync set up.
    It streams o.k. but data description updates are a problem.
    Is this a software issue or do I need to set up a ethernet connection?
    Has anyone heard of this?

2. mac.jedi macrumors 6502

I've got 2 AppleTV's. One is wired the other is 802.11n both connected via a Tme Capsule.

I had some issues that I solved by setting eveything to custom sync on both AppleTV's. Choose the settings in each preference page to sync only selected items or playlists, but don't select any items.

This will envoke iTunes to update whenever a change is made.

If you still have problems, you can try removing the file from iTunes, then re-add it.

3. VTMac macrumors 6502

If you happen to be using an external harddrive that is configured to sleep to store your media, that could be the problem. I've found that description data isn't displayed (particularly artwork) when my drive awakes from sleep. If I wake up the drive before turning on apple tv, it works correctly. My solution was to disable sleeping for the drive.

4. barrymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both. Actually I am going to try both. My external is just for backup and I now have a internal drive that I can try and redirect my itunes library to.
    As far as the custom sync, I am going to give that a try as well.

I also just discovered that my film library is separate of my Itunes library. I am thinking about consolidating into one itunes library folder for an experiment.

5. Volante macrumors regular

6. barrymac thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe there is a way through some settings in Lacie, but for now I would rather move the library to my internal drive and use the Lacie for backup.
    Hopefully this works, since everything else has failed so far, including a direct ethernet connection.

7. blakekrone macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip mac.jedi! I was trying to figure out how to not have to remove files when I was retagging data with the correct parental rating, etc.

8. barrymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, after trouble shooting all day... I found the trick that did it for me.
    I just had to put both my Apple TV units on my shared library only and that made it perfect. So actually everybody's suggestions helped me get there and I wish you all a happy holiday and a great black Friday.

Thanks