What is the best setup to watch TV on an iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wellsws, Dec 26, 2008.

1. wellsws macrumors member

I'm looking for a good setup on my iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz, 1 GB memory) to watch live TV. I was thinking of getting a TV for my home office, but I really don't have a lot of room, so I'd like to look at using my Mac. I don't need to have a recorder, but it could come in handy, especially if I were able to transfer them to my iPhone. I haven't done a lot of research. I'm hoping someone on the forum has done this or has some good suggestions. Thanks!

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Depending on your needs and desired setup, you might be interested in checking out Elgato's EyeTV. :cool:

3. gwihannom macrumors member

Try using Slingbox. I have one in my network and I watch live television on my computers. I own both Mac and PC, Slingbox works well with both. You can even watch HD quality video.

The player that works with Slingbox (Sling Player its called), records up to 60 minutes of live video for playback, although you can't save it as a file and it gets cleared after you turn off the player.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, Slingbox is also a good alternative, I've heard many good things about it.

Also, in general, if you are interested in potentially performing any video conversion to your iPod, iPhone or other device from any content stored on your Mac's hard drive, you will want to download Handbrake - it's an excellent app. I believe Elgato's EyeTV 3 software allows for you to stream recorded content to your iPhone or iPod touch via wi-fi, but sometimes it's nicer to have an actual copy stored on the handheld's hard drive as well. ;)

5. wellsws thread starter macrumors member

EyeTV looks like a good option. After looking at their website I think the Hybrid would be the one I'd want? I'm not sure the 250 plus does more than I need. The hybrid seems to let you watch and record TV. Is there something I'm missing? The 250 plus costs more.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No, the hybrid would probably be all you would need. You can do a tuner comparison here to compare the feature sets. I believe the 250 gives you more encoding features and such, but that's why I linked to Handbrake above, which can easily take care of that functionality (and more!) instead.

The hybrid isn't super cheap, but is definitely worth it if you'll be using it fairly regularly. Quality product and consistently good reviews.

7. wellsws thread starter macrumors member

Just ordered EyeTV Hybrid. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I've been using a hybrid for the last few years, it works very well. It even works with the Apple remote. You shouldn't be disappointed :)

9. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    Can shows recorded with eyetv be viewed on apple tv?

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, I hope you're satisfied with it! Keep us posted.

Yes, EyeTV software has support for exporting recordings to Apple TV.

11. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Cool. You just sold it to me. Is it labour intensive to get it over onto atv?

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Doesn't look like it - check this out.

You can also view an overview of the EyeTV software here. :cool:

13. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Thanks Shard

I just need to decide which version now. Anyone in the uk got experience with the versions with built in aerial? I saw a review on amazon and they said it really needed to be connected to a proper roof aerial to work correctly. As I have a MacBook I can't always have it plugged into one of those but if it can't get decent signal off it's own aerial I would be annoyed at stumping up the extra £20 if that feature didn't work

If anyone can talk from experience in uk 'twould be much appreciated

14. doylee01 macrumors member

I live in Birmingham, UK and I have a EyeTV diversity and the indoor aerials for me i utterly useless, i got perfect signal when connecting them to a roof aerial. I didn't experiment with them much though so maybe you will have better experience with the aerial. Good luck.

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem at all. I can't speak to the aerial issue, but it appears as though doylee01 has provided some insight for you. Any other questions, just ask.

16. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Cheers all. Just ordered the basic version. The apple tv button and the capability to get tv on my phone clinched it. The software looks sweet. Just what I would expect from something on a mac

Thanks all. Once again the forum has given me everything I need to know.

I only wish I could return the favour for folk sometimes :)

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem at all, that's what we're here for. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :cool:

18. wellsws thread starter macrumors member

Update

I've had my EyeTV Hybrid for about 2 weeks and it's great. It took me some time to set it up correctly and be able to download guide content, but it now works. As an added bonus, I get more channels than I signed up for with my cable company. Still not sure why, but I won't complain. The transfer of recorded shows to iTunes and my iPhone is flawless. I can now watch The Daily Show on the bus in the mornings! Thanks for the advice, it was well worth taking.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent, I'm very glad to hear that! I'm happy that it's working out for you and has met your expectations. Again, if you have any further questions just ask. In the meantime, enjoy your EyeTV! :cool: