Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whokuni

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Japan
I have just ordered one of these http://www.meenova.com/st/p/dash_i.html and now wondering about a good size MicroSD card. I will be upgrading from my current 9 inch Ipad at the end of the year (only 64gb at the moment) to probably to a 256gb 10inch. I'm hoping to use the above to store: movies, tutorials and working documents. Im already using Drop Box, Icloud so I have lots of options. Except my provider reduces speed after a cap off use. Meaning that any icloud usage fails at a point. I have looked at Amazon, etc. and see that there are lots off 128gb cards. Is there any reason why you wouldnt suggest something bigger like 256gb?

Thanking you
Whokuni
Tokyo

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The only reason not to go bigger than 128GB would be price. The 128GB SSD cards are probably the sweet spot right now for best bang for the buck. I recently found a deal on a 128GB Samsung Evo+ for $39. But some real deals can be found on 256GB cards right now too. Use camelcamelcamel.com and you can track historical prices for various items.

Reactions: onepoint

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have both 128 & 256GB uSD cards. The advantage of 128 is the price, as SDColorado says. You can get 2 for less than a 256GB card cost. Disadvantage is that the cards are small and easy to lose track of if you have more than the one in the device (I keep loose uSD cards in SD card adapters to help this). I prefer the convenience of a single, larger card.

Reactions: Diving Capers

whokuni

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Japan
Thanks guys for your feedback. Its helping me make the decision. Doesnt seem like there is any physical disadvantage in read/write then?

Once again. thank you

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks guys for your feedback. Its helping me make the decision. Doesnt seem like there is any physical disadvantage in read/write then?

Once again. thank you

No, size itself won't affect speed. Be sure to buy from a reputable dealer (e.g., Amazon) and avoid ebay low prices - a lot of counterfeits being sold out there.

The device you indicated looks so interesting that I ordered one. I tried a similar device from Leef some time back that just never worked well at all - went through multiple returns on it until I finally just got a refund. My solution has been to use a wireless RAVPower FileHub with attached storage - it works very well with a 4TB portable HDD but something small like this would be convenient.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Once again. thank you

The Meenova, currently supports cards "up to 256GB capacity (max available today) and higher (future)," as they word it.

There won't be any disadvantage to using a card up to that size, unless you subscribe to the "don't put all your eggs in once basket" school of thought. The biggest disadvantage of higher capacity storage is "The bigger they are, the harder they fail." :)

That said, modern cards from reputable manufacturers tend to be fairly reliable.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
People are unloading the Samsung EVO+ 256GB micro SD card that they got for free with their Galaxy S8 on eBay for about $50.

Stick to US sellers with low one or two quantity. Genuine cards are usually Made in South Korea or Philippines.
$_3.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

whokuni

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Japan
Wow, glad I didn't go for a 512 card and bought a Samsung card here in Japan at the weekend for about 90$US

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Once again. thank you

Read/Write is based on the quality of the card not size. Best to stick with better known names as some of the no-names and generics lie about stated speed.

Reactions: SDColorado

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So I just received this device and quickly tossed a 128GB card into it, loaded with a bunch of mp4 video files. It reads the card and readily plays the videos through the Dash-i app but there appears to be a size limitation - nothing over 4GB will play. There is no available documentation stating limitations and this is frustrating as I have a sizable number of videos in the 4-6GB range.

Edit: Also, I got the device with the pass-through charge port. Oddly, the device input charge port is micro USB, not Lightning. I didn't notice that when I ordered it but it says so on the web page.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.