What is the best starter iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gettin sombrero, Aug 8, 2008.

1. gettin sombrero macrumors newbie

Basically, I'm looking for something that'll last a while as my web surfing/IM/music machine until I can pick up a mbp after the next revision has been out for a while.

I'd like a desktop but I'm not sure which line I'd like to choose. The G5 iMacs look tempting at the price but I'm not sure if I should spend money on a G5 as there are Core Duo and Core 2 Duo machines out there (also Snow Leopard not being PPC compatible).

I'm wanting something I can easily upgrade the hard drive on since I have a lot of stuff I'll be transferring over from my windows machine. Preferably something that would easily be serviceable by myself, but that really isn't a requirement.

On top of this, I ask what is a fair price range for the G5/CD/C2D iMacs? I see even the G5s going for a fair bit but would like to know what the consensus is on a good price.

I appreciate all the help you'll provide for me.

I'm not limited to iMacs I should add, if a PowerMac G5 would be a better fit recommend it.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Too bad they still have the ...

iMac (17"LCD/1.83GHz/1GB/160GB/Combo/Intel GMA 950) (MA710LL/A)

in the lineup ... but not available for retail purchase, just education.

Would be nice to see a $799-850 iMac.

3. seattle macrumors 6502

A used Intel Mac Mini is a good little machine. I found a core solo for $250 on my local craigslist and bought it.