What is the best system for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojopixel, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I have been stressing over which mac to get. Basically, the programs I use are Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash as well as iTunes. I am undecided as to whether to go for the MacPro or the 24" iMac. The advantage of the pro is that I get to choose the screen and spec it up at a later date but the iMac is so convenient but I don't know whether I can calibrate the screen effetively enough for my needs or, maybe I should plum for secret option number 3 and get a MBP and a external monitor. any help???

cheers,

mp :confused:

2. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

If you do extensive video/film work I would go with the Mac Pro. The iMac while a nice machine may not have a lot of long-term value as demands for better video cards and more rams increase all the time.

Also my dad owns his own photography shop and hates iMac's lcd monitors because they are hard to calibrate correctly.

I think the MBP while cool isn't what your looking for.

Go Mac Pro if money doesn't matter.

3. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

dude, whether you have it or not, money always matters! :D

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

mbp w/ external. it's seriously awesome, plus you're portable when you need to be.

5. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I agree.. That's what I do... I have a Powerbook with an external display and its absolutely amazing. I run Photoshop, Final Cut Pro Studio, everything... on a very large display. I'm upgrading to the Mac Pro only because I want to do more HD and my Powerbook can't take all the processing in the time frames i need it to.

I suggest getting the MacBook Pro as its plenty of horsepower for you're looking for. My Powerbook does it all and the MacBook Pro is twice as fast as this thing. The Mac Pro, while it's a great heavy duty machine, may be too much... but if you have the money... :rolleyes: sure, go for the Mac Pro. But the MBP is a great option now... especially when there are plenty of Mac Pro's to upgrade to in the future.

6. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hmm...I could do that but that would mean more waiting around :(

7. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Wha? No, no, no... get an iMac. The lower end 24" screen model is plenty unless you REALLY feel you need the extra processing power (and I say you don't).

Save your money.

8. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

macbook w/ external display

right, I've thought about it and I'm going to get a macbook with a 24" external display. thanks for all of your inputs.

mp :)

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

What size images do you work on? If it is the typical consumer level DSLR and you are doing .jpg format, CS3 on the iMac can handle it well. If it is web-sized graphics, even the iMac is overkill.

My iMac (24 inch, 2.16Ghz) strains a bit when I try edit scans of medium format. I scan the 6x6 or 6x7 negs into 16-bit per channel and get file sizes in the 150MB range. Speed is acceptable when I'm using any of the tools and zooms and pans are fast. But it take a while to do a save, flatten or filter a 150MB or 300MB file.

the iMac is ideal for dreamweaver, flash and the like. They have pretty low demands.

10. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

thanks for your insight Chris, I've actually just ordered a refurbished SR Macbook since I work with web graphics, cascading style sheets and flash. I figure a macbook hooked up to a 24" external display and a external hard drive will suit me just fine.