What is the best USB or Firewire Interface for my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PandaOnslaught, Apr 12, 2010.

1. PandaOnslaught macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

Hello,
    I'm a college student that is moving to an apartment in the fall in order to live a bit closer to my school, i will be getting a new MBP when they launch (hopefully this week), and i know that I'm going to be using Logic Studio 9 (i love logic). I'm doing guitar recording directly through this interface and ill be using condenser mic to my amp when i go back home, i need a good versatile interface that will allow me to mic up a drum set or something else, as well as my guitar *does not need to be simultaneous* I've already decided on everything except for the interface, so your guys input would really help make my life easy by getting the perfect interface for my needs.
    Thanks!!!!!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would go for USB. Firewire is more expensive and harder to find plus you only have one Firewire port

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

usb is sooo much more popular now you have to pay for the inclusion of firewire

if you dont NEED it then you really shouldnt bother

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you're going to be recording audio, GO FIREWIRE (shouting intentional).

It is the "interface of choice" for recording.

The most important plus with Firewire for audio on the Mac: you don't need any "drivers". Firewire interfaces (at least most of them) use the "CORE Audio Drivers" that are built into the Mac OS. As soon as you plug your interface in, the OS will "see it" and make it available for use with your audio applications.

And because there are no drivers with firewire, it follows that there can be no "driver conflicts". Take a little time to scan the "digital audio" section of the macrumors forums, and you will see numerous posts regarding conflicts and problems with USB drivers.

And get an interface that will "grow with your needs", so to speak. That means, with room for expansion.

You didn't post a dollar amount that you wish to spend.

You don't need to buy "the high end", but don't "buy cheap", either. Get something "in the middle". You won't regret spending the money for it down the line.

I'd recommend that you look at the Echo line of interfaces. I use an AudioFire8 - setup took all of about 5 minutes after unboxing. Again, just plugged it in, and it was "ready to go".

The AudioFire4 would be as good, and is reasonably priced.