What is the best voice recorder that will work with Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vyruz Reaper, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

I need to start recording lectures at school. I have been looking for a decent voice recorder and my olympus i just bought doesnt work with mac :(. It only records in wma and all the software is for pc... soo

Where can I find a really good recorder that will compatible with mac? I tried amazon, but its very vague in descriptions if it will work with mac. Looking to buy tomorrow - budget is 100 bucks.

2 im looking on at amazon right now are the olympus ds-30 and ws-321 -> both dont say anything about working with mac

all the help is appreciated
    thanks!

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...do you have an iPod?

There's many companies such as griffin that make iPod mic attachments, then it just downloads to your iTunes....

3. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I have the Olympus DS-2 (got it a few years ago). It came with DSS software, Mac version, that works like a charm to download the audio files from the recorder (in its USB dock) into the DSS program files. The files come in as wma, but I've never had any issues using them, and have never had to translate them. I've updated the software when asked and it all just continues to work. It's a nice voice recorder and nice system.

Recently, I've also been using my iPod Touch with a Thumbtack Mic (small, cheap, quality is fine) and the app iProRecorder. There are other apps out there, and other mics, but these are the ones I settled on. Works great.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You can also look at the two options for running windows on your mac - boot camp and virtualware (like parallels or fusion).

5. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

actually, I dont have an ipod... go figure, I use my palm pre as my ipod now(i still have itunes 9.0 so it syncs perfectly with itunes)

I still have my old first gen iphone(which i use as my ipod), but i would just like a digital voice recorder without having to carry around my ipod/iphone.