What is the best way to back up camera roll?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jacksonc, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Very often my iPad runs out of storage and i have to back up my camera roll, delete the pictures i don't want, and do that over again. I am using aperture, but I don't like it. I have a billion events for my iPad and most of them are duplicates. Does anyone know the best way to back up my camera roll?

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Using a PC, all you do is plug the iPhone in using the cable and view the iPhone in My Computer as another Drive. All of the pix can be saved to the computer and left on the phone or removed - your choice. I do this every six months or so. :) Only the Camera Roll shows up like this.

I don't know how a Mac handles it.

3. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Use an application like iexplorer or ifunbox.

4. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

So would it let me back up only the pictures I haven't imported yet? In Aperture, I import my entire camera roll, and I have tons of events with the same pictures.

5. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

When importing via iPhoto it displays both "Already Imported" and "New Photos" and defaults to importing just the new photos, although the already imported can be selected if desired. Don't know about Aperture.

Another option you might consider is import all of the photos, delete them all from the Camera Roll and then use iTunes to sync back the ones you want to have on the phone. That way they are all on the computer as a safe storage site that you can include in your regular computer backups. I have an iPhoto Album named "iPhone" with albums inside of that so they are organized on the phone; the photos themselves are in Events in iPhoto.

6. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Okay, maybe I should get iPhoto. I don't need to delete my entire camera roll, so that sounds like what I need.

7. iPad Air macrumors regular

When you plug iOS devices into Mac, iPhoto automatically detects the device and you can import direct into iPhoto and organize all right there :). iPhoto is so great.

----------

iPhoto does this beautifully. Keeps track of what you have already imported. Give it a try.

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I use OneDrive for doing this but likes of Dropbox and probably others do the same.

Also means they are available to view via the phone\ipad as well if you have a data connection if you need to rather than tucked away on a PC somewhere.

9. cynics macrumors G4

iPhoto and Dropbox. Redundancy is a good thing when it comes to photos.

Also when you upgrade devices consider more storage.

10. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I definitely will!

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, between Dropbox, OneDrive, Flickr, Box, Copy, and various other cloud storage options there are some good options there.

12. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Thanks for the info. :)

13. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

Note that iPhoto detecting a device and automatically opening is an option in iPhoto Preferences. If it isn't happening you will need to change that Preference.

14. excommie macrumors regular

Sometimes I prefer image capture to iPhoto to quickly delete unwanted photos from an iPhone/iPad without actually importing them 1st.