What is the best way to backup an iPad 2?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Do you have a computer with iTunes? Or an iCloud account? And what exactly do you want to backup? Is it that you want to backup for safekeeping, or you want to create a backup then restore that to a new device? Oh, and what iOS version is on the iPad?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Do you have a computer with iTunes? Or an iCloud account? And what exactly do you want to backup? Is it that you want to backup for safekeeping, or you want to create a backup then restore that to a new device? Oh, and what iOS version is on the iPad?
I have a Mac with iTunes. I probably can install iTunes on the PC. Does it matter Windows of Mac OS?

I don't have an iCloud account but it seems that I can get 5GB for free.

I want to take my iPad 2 to Apple for testing. The staff asked me to backup first as the data might be lost during the test.

Version: 7.1.2 (11D257)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Back it up to the computer. I don't use the iCloud backup myself, I think there's a use for it, but waiting for a backup to re-download is not something I'd like to be doing when it only takes two minutes to reflash back onto the device otherwise.

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
There are some problems with the iPad 2. Cannot connect to iTunes Store nor FaceTime.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have a Mac with iTunes. I probably can install iTunes on the PC. Does it matter Windows of Mac OS?

I don't have an iCloud account but it seems that I can get 5GB for free.

I want to take my iPad 2 to Apple for testing. The staff asked me to backup first as the data might be lost during the test.

Version: 7.1.2 (11D257)
Ok, I'd just use the Mac, then, as it already has iTunes. Make sure you have the latest iTunes version. Then hook up your iPad to your Mac, and do a backup AND transfer purchases.

For this purpose, I wouldn't bother with iCloud, because as another poster mentioned, it takes a long time to restore from iCloud. However, it's a good idea to get an iCloud account and have your iPad back up to it automatically, so that if your iPad fails unexpectedly, or you lose it / it gets stolen, you have a recent backup. But you can take care of that after you visit the Apple store and get your iPad looked at.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Look I'm no expert in this but history says that if you have an ipad you may well have or buy in the future an-
iphone
macbook pro etc

therefore its easier to backup over the air to icloud because its automatic and keeps everything in sync.
icloud doesn't only backup it syncs your i devices.

You may forget to backup daily to a mac or pc, plus its more of a pain.

My advise would be-

backup to icloud over the air (automatically) but check it is 'date stamped'

backup to itunes encrypted (it saves more of your data) at least every week (set a reminder)

Archive backup as often as poss depending on pc/mac space

Keep copies of backups off site at a different location on a USB drive (pref USB 3)

Always backup to itunes encrypted & archive before doing a major ios upgrade or on starting a beta program.

so backup:

1/ over the air icloud (check date stamp)
2/ itunes encrypted
3/ itunes encrypted (archive)
4/ copy of itunes encrypted (archive) 'off site' with all your other precious data, on a USB drive.
5/ itunes encrypted (archive) before major ios updates, or if you install beta software.

same as above for iphone etc

hope this helps

cheers