What is the best way to backup an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hajime, Jul 31, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have a computer with iTunes? Or an iCloud account? And what exactly do you want to backup? Is it that you want to backup for safekeeping, or you want to create a backup then restore that to a new device? Oh, and what iOS version is on the iPad?

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I have a Mac with iTunes. I probably can install iTunes on the PC. Does it matter Windows of Mac OS?

I don't have an iCloud account but it seems that I can get 5GB for free.

I want to take my iPad 2 to Apple for testing. The staff asked me to backup first as the data might be lost during the test.

Version: 7.1.2 (11D257)

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Back it up to the computer. I don't use the iCloud backup myself, I think there's a use for it, but waiting for a backup to re-download is not something I'd like to be doing when it only takes two minutes to reflash back onto the device otherwise.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

There are some problems with the iPad 2. Cannot connect to iTunes Store nor FaceTime.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, I'd just use the Mac, then, as it already has iTunes. Make sure you have the latest iTunes version. Then hook up your iPad to your Mac, and do a backup AND transfer purchases.

For this purpose, I wouldn't bother with iCloud, because as another poster mentioned, it takes a long time to restore from iCloud. However, it's a good idea to get an iCloud account and have your iPad back up to it automatically, so that if your iPad fails unexpectedly, or you lose it / it gets stolen, you have a recent backup. But you can take care of that after you visit the Apple store and get your iPad looked at.

7. AndreaTa macrumors regular

Is there any notifies when you connect your ipad with Mac?

8. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Look I'm no expert in this but history says that if you have an ipad you may well have or buy in the future an-
    iphone
    macbook pro etc

therefore its easier to backup over the air to icloud because its automatic and keeps everything in sync.
    icloud doesn't only backup it syncs your i devices.

You may forget to backup daily to a mac or pc, plus its more of a pain.

My advise would be-

backup to icloud over the air (automatically) but check it is 'date stamped'

backup to itunes encrypted (it saves more of your data) at least every week (set a reminder)

Archive backup as often as poss depending on pc/mac space

Keep copies of backups off site at a different location on a USB drive (pref USB 3)

Always backup to itunes encrypted & archive before doing a major ios upgrade or on starting a beta program.

so backup:

1/ over the air icloud (check date stamp)
    2/ itunes encrypted
    3/ itunes encrypted (archive)
    4/ copy of itunes encrypted (archive) 'off site' with all your other precious data, on a USB drive.
    5/ itunes encrypted (archive) before major ios updates, or if you install beta software.

same as above for iphone etc

hope this helps

cheers

9. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Best way is to sync via iTunes to your Macbook