Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Rather than a typical "docking station" Apple focuses on simplistic connectivity between its MacBooks and ACDs. With either a 24" or 27" ACD, one can easily connect their MacBook via mDP and USB cable and it even provides power for the MacBook.

One can leave all peripherals connected to the ACDs port hub. Wirelessly, with an AEBS or TC, one can connect to printers and backup drives as well as networks. It really is a better way to dock.

With ThunderBolt, I expect ACDs will get FireWire and USB 3.0 ports. It will not matter if an MBA doesn't have FireWire or USB 3.0 ports on it, with the ThunderBolt chip it is possible and likely to be the primary advantage of migrating to TB. Then the ACDs will connect via a single TB cable. Apple really has the best solutions whether they compare to traditional methods or are radically different. Having power for my MBA right on my ACDs allows me to almost never mess with my MBA's power bricks and one can stay in my laptop bag rather than being needed with every use. Features like that sets Apple apart from competition.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
No. If a MacBook (of any model) is connected to an external monitor and then has its lid closed, then the MacBook will continue to function normally with its display being that external monitor.

Well, in a typical usage scenario, you'd carry your laptop home from work (lid closed and asleep), then plug it into the power/monitor. If you then use the external keyboard/mouse to wake the computer from sleep while its lid is still closed, it will figure out that it needs to use the external monitor as the primary display.

Though what I prefer to do is open the lid, then configure the MacBook display to be the secondary display when sitting on my desk.

gman6514

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Would just like to point out that even thought his question is about and Air and as said by one of the others poster there does not seem to be much for the Air. I do know a company that might be working on one for the future. While it does not help you now you might want to look into the Byte-dock.

Hope this helps

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Well, in a typical usage scenario, you'd carry your laptop home from work (lid closed and asleep), then plug it into the power/monitor. If you then use the external keyboard/mouse to wake the computer from sleep while its lid is still closed, it will figure out that it needs to use the external monitor as the primary display.
This is what I do with my MBA 11, except I use the external display/keyboard/Magic Mouse at work. I also attach a 2nd external monitor using a USB-DVI adapter. When I get home, I use the MBA by itself.

It is a bit of an annoyance to have to plug everything, but I've learned to live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.