Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Personally most of my music has come from Pandora for the last like 6 years, even today I can have one of my stations on and hear a band I've never heard of.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Spotify, Pandora, any blogs? ITunes, Amazon

Not great for the super obscure artists, but if you to a website like allmusic.com and you look up an artist or band, the site lists who influenced that artist and similar musicians. From there, you can just youtube their suggestions. It's not quick, but if you're willing to take the time, you can go pretty in-depth.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Music blogs are the way to go. Find one that fits your taste in music, and see what they post. I personally love and follow fistintheair.com, which has a lot of pop/techno music.

funkymatt

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
I have been using spotify for a number of months now. Good for discovering semi-popular and indie-to-popular bands/albums.

YouTube is okay, but only works if you generally know what you are looking for in first place.

You might also want to try MySpace and SoundCloud. This is where undiscovered yet gems start from. SoundCloud is also very popular among DJs.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Not great for the super obscure artists, but if you to a website like allmusic.com and you look up an artist or band, the site lists who influenced that artist and similar musicians. From there, you can just youtube their suggestions. It's not quick, but if you're willing to take the time, you can go pretty in-depth.
That too, Amazon does good with that feature too. Just type whatever band/artist in you want, and they give you a bunch of "similar" others.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What is the best way to find new music?
Spotify, Pandora, any blogs? ITunes, Amazon
Depends on the individual. For me Pandora and Top Gear (not the re-aired episodes on BBCA with altered music) are my top 2 sources at the moment. You need to look around and find what works best for you. What works best for others is an entirely different matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.