What is the best way to fully backup my mother's iPhone if she has no laptop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zooby, Jul 14, 2016.

1. zooby, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I setup an iCloud account for both my parents together and paid for extra storage. Every night, everything will just backup to the cloud over WiFi.

Another thing you could do is make a DropBox account for her and enable auto-upload, but that's ONLY for pictures.

3. now i see it, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016

now i see it macrumors 65816

^^
    What he said. Back up to iCloud. Automatic and painless. Never have to think about it.

Know though that an iCloud backup is all or nothing when it comes time to restore. You can't restore single items from an iCloud backup.

4. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

iCloud or pc/Mac via iTunes are your only two options to backup the device.

I use iCloud since I don't have a laptop anymore. It works great.

5. KillaMac Suspended

iCloud is what I use for my parents. They pay the extra amount a month, and it backs up for them. No need for a computer.

6. zooby, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Nand macrumors regular

Nand

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Extra storage purchased in iCloud looks like the best way for your Mom but be aware that there's no guarantee that, in the event of a disaster, the backup will work properly.

It would seem the bulk of the backup would be for photos. You can set up a second cloud service to backup photos and increase the chance of recovery of those.

Most everything else is settings and apps and those are pretty easy to get back in case of iCloud backup failing. One just needs to keep good records of login credentials for every app or service one uses.

9. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

To the best of my knowledge, iCloud backups save everything that an iTunes backup does. This wasn't always the case but I'm pretty sure it's true today. I've never had an issue restoring pics or texts from iCloud.

10. KillaMac Suspended

Yes, icloud saves everything, even the position of the icons and groups. Basically all you need to do is use the same account that is setup for the app store to download apps, set that up in the icloud. Login with that account under the icloud settings of the phone, and then tell it what you want it to back up. It has never failed us yet. :)

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Make sure you have images clicked to back them up and also "encrypted" will also backup all passwords and health data