Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I setup an iCloud account for both my parents together and paid for extra storage. Every night, everything will just backup to the cloud over WiFi.

Another thing you could do is make a DropBox account for her and enable auto-upload, but that's ONLY for pictures.

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
^^
What he said. Back up to iCloud. Automatic and painless. Never have to think about it.

Know though that an iCloud backup is all or nothing when it comes time to restore. You can't restore single items from an iCloud backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: M. Gustave

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
iCloud is what I use for my parents. They pay the extra amount a month, and it backs up for them. No need for a computer.

Reactions: BeeGood

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Extra storage purchased in iCloud looks like the best way for your Mom but be aware that there's no guarantee that, in the event of a disaster, the backup will work properly.

It would seem the bulk of the backup would be for photos. You can set up a second cloud service to backup photos and increase the chance of recovery of those.

Most everything else is settings and apps and those are pretty easy to get back in case of iCloud backup failing. One just needs to keep good records of login credentials for every app or service one uses.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Perfect. How do I go about doing this? Is this the same as a full-backup on a computer (as in it backs up all texts/pictures)? The reason I ask is because I do the regular nightly iCloud backups before but I haven't seen it keep all pics/texts...How make sure my mom's new backup will have everything included?

To the best of my knowledge, iCloud backups save everything that an iTunes backup does. This wasn't always the case but I'm pretty sure it's true today. I've never had an issue restoring pics or texts from iCloud.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Yes, icloud saves everything, even the position of the icons and groups. Basically all you need to do is use the same account that is setup for the app store to download apps, set that up in the icloud. Login with that account under the icloud settings of the phone, and then tell it what you want it to back up. It has never failed us yet. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.