What is the best way to get a 24inch display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Amnak, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

I really really want a beautiful display to go alongside my Mbp is there a way to get the 24inch display for less. Like is there a 10% student discount or a payment plan for it? Is there a Trusted website that any one has purchased from... that gives a discount(not :apple: hahaha)?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Apple "reconditioned" products are a great bet. The 24" display pops in there from time to time at $599. This is a pretty good deal. The apple refurb products always look 100% new, and they come with the same warranty that brand new products do. I'm planning on buying my display this way.

Also, if you're not tied to the Apple brand, there are plenty of alternative options for much cheaper. I'd suggest you search this "Mac Peripherals" subsection of the forums for 'best XX" monitor' and I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas / suggestions.

3. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome... i will and that referb price is sweet:D

4. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I bought my 24" Cinema Display as a refurb from Apple. I saved $300 and I have an awesome monitor that not only looks great when I am not using it but looks even better when I am using it.

5. mbestel macrumors member

Samsung?

Hi,

I've bought tons of monitors from Apple over the years. Always paying the premium and just sucking it up.

Now, I've started getting Samsung displays. The quality is as good and they are about one fifth of the price.

Sure, it's not aluminium with a camera built in, but to save AUD$1200, who cares?

Cheers,

Mark

6. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

I actually just bought a refurb 24 incher last week. I had been watching for a few days and it finally popped up. I got it yesterday and it's alot bigger than I thought.

However I feel like the white is not consistent. A slight yellowish tint is on the bottom portion, but I could just be seeing things/be my imagination.

Came in great condition though, highly recommend buying a refurb.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

HP makes a nice looking monitor with similar styling. And since HP has made it their mission lately to copy apple design.....

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

+1 vote. Did the same thing and mine arrived in an absolutely pristine condition. For the price it is actually (in my opinion) a very good deal.

9. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

The build quality of this monitor is excellent! Mine was pristine as well, it would have been nice to have the nice colored Apple Box but I didn't mind the plain Jane brown box. Also, it smelled really good like all Apple products when they are brand new. The smell alone is worth the $599 refurb price.:D

10. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Same here! Bought my display from the :apple: refurb store and saved a few hundred buck, which I put towards a wireless keyboard and magic mouse among other things. Great buy!

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Here's another vote for Apple's refurbs--the only difference is that the box it comes in isn't as pretty and you save money.

To those recommending Samsung and HP displays, keep in mind that most of the displays on the market use less-color-accurate TN panels rather than the high-end IPS of the 24" Apple screen. There are times when TN is actually preferable (faster response time for gaming), and depending on your eyes and use you may not care, but the point is the price premium exists for a reason.

To my knowledge the only IPS monitor Samsung makes is the 305T, a 30" monster that costs around $1250 (I have seen refrubs as low as $850).

HP has the LP2475, which is much more comparable at 24", though it uses a CFL rather than LED backlight. It lists for $650 and has a street price a little under $600. Factoring in the LED, much sexier design, and camera, Apple's higher price is reasonably competitive I think.

HP also makes the DreamColor LP2480zx, a 24" IPS with an LED backlight, and with a 10-bit panel is probably better than the Apple display in terms of color reproduction. It also has a list price of $2000, and the street price isn't all that much lower.

Not bashing Samsung or HP monitors, just pointing out that Apple's price isn't arbitrarily high.

12. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

i have a dell one i picked up for $210 shipped to my house.

its not a fancy ips panel or anything

but its LED backlight 16:9[not 16:10) so its perfect for movies and tv shows not very good for editing.

i do intend to pick up apple led display during the summer but for now while im at college, this is perfect.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I really didn't care about the color of the box. It was in my garage 5 minutes after I unpacked the display. And frankly, I couldn't care less what the junk in my garage looks like. :)

14. oxocube macrumors member

Based largely on the positive feedback here, I jumped on a refurbished 24" ACD when it became available on the Apple store website today. I hope it doesn't disappoint, and that I'll like the look of IPS technology.

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Oh you'll like it. :) They're really great displays. You made a good choice.

16. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Did you get your display yet? If so how do you like it?

17. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Just out of curiosity, how often are they in the refurb store? I've had my eye out for a few weeks but I haven't seen one yet - only the 30" version. I'm looking in the U.S. store btw.

18. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

When I was about to buy mine I had to wait a few days until they were available. Just check twice everyday and you should see one within a few days.

19. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i always see the 24 in the us refurb store .. just check twice a day and they come and go fast