What is the best way to get books

Discussion in 'iPad' started by paulbaker99, Aug 29, 2012.

1. paulbaker99, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

paulbaker99 macrumors newbie

Should I just use the ipad app store or is there an amazon app I can use. what options do I have and what would be the best?

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

3. m00min macrumors 6502

I buy most of my ebooks from Amazon, I can then read them on my iPad/iPhone, mac, Sony Reader. iBooks are limited to iPad/iPhone.

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Yep, I prefer books from Amazon also, exactly for the reasons stated above.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I prefer iBooks and the App Store, but I also use the Kindle app (Amazon) as well

6. Ipaduser88 macrumors newbie

I use the amazon app. As stated earlier, it is a nice benefit to share between different device as long as linked to same amazon account.

For example, wife wanted John Grisham book. She downloaded to pc, then my mother reads it on both on iphone and kindle, now I have access to it on iPad. You can really get your money's worth.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The iBooks app also supports PDF and ePub formats which are both widely available.
    You can copy them to the iPad via iTunes or download them straight off of the web and selecting to Open in iBooks.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Nook/Kindle for fiction books, PDF copies of technical books (better layout support). I avoid iBooks like the plague for eBooks due to the limitations on what you can read them on. Nook and Kindle are available for virtually every platform and PDF readers can be found anywhere (I use GoodReader on the iPad).

Also PDFs can be purchased from many sources so you're not locked into a specific vendor. I use O'Reilly and Apress directly and also InformIT for most of my technical PDFs. All three offer substantial discounts if you watch for them.

EDIT: I am specifically referring to the iBooks/Nook/Kindle store bought items and not PDFs/EPUB documents. All three support bringing in external PDFs/EPUB.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I like the Kindle app personally. They'll assign you a special email address to send off your files to them to sync with their cloud. I think you get 5GB free. Whispersync is cool too and will sync your last page read across all of your devices. Great for the small Kindle while traveling and the iPad when at home.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've only bought eBooks from Amazon for the Kindle app on the iPad; iBooks has fewer eBooks books available than Amazon.

I also use the Kindle app for library books, which I don't think would work via iBook.

11. bocomo macrumors 6502

Me too

----------

Indeed, my GF doesn't use the Kindle app like i do, so i signed on her ipad so she can read all my game of thrones books

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Define best. Preference plays a big part in all this. Have you used the apps out there? Have you browsed the selections of the options? Best is always highly subjective on any topic.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3