what is the best way to get unlocked iPhone 6 in usa?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by royik, Sep 27, 2014.

1. royik macrumors newbie

Hi! I am new in this forum.
    I am from israel and I plan to go to US next week for 1 week only and I want to buy unlocked iPhone 6 128 GB space gray. If I want to use it back to israel using israel SIM card, should I buy the contract-free Tmobile, verizon, or at&t? I know they are suitable to Israel LTE bands. I also want to know the availability of the unlocked phones in apple store in US. Is it available in store or I have to wait for some days? I tried to order from apple store to pick up but it is unavailable from the store I want to pick up (new Hampshire area). I hope it will be availableat store when i will arrive. Why is it not possible to order ftom the online store the at&t contract free,for example? I hope you can help. Thanks a lot!

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

www.idevicechecker.com

Simply put in your zip code and model you want to check your area if it's in stock.

P.S. I believe the only contract free iPhone you can buy in the U.S. at the moment is the T-mobile version. The others (ATT, Verizon, Sprint) require a contract.

Good luck finding one :)

3. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will try. Is it the only way to buy is from Apple Store? What about best buy store?

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

The website I listed above will check Apple Stores, Targets, and Best Buys in your area to see if the model you want is in stock. Mind you the T-mobile contract free version is very popular right now since China hasn't given regulatory approval for the iPhone 6 and so scalpers will buy it to send it back home. Might be really hard finding one right now.

5. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again!
    I read that it is possible to buy AT&T or Verizon at full price at Apple Store. Is it mean they are contract free? Because I know that verizon and AT&T unlocked for sure.

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

According to Apples website (see picture below) and this other forum member who already tried and failed, you can't buy anything but the T-mobile version contract free at the moment.

Attached Files:

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I believe the only unlocked one is tmobile one. I just got one and popped my AT&T sim in it and it worked right away.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

You can buy any iPhone @ Apple Store contract free. T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon phones are all unlocked when buying from Apple Store full price.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Are you simply making a guess or have you actually bought one contract free yourself with a receipt you can post for us to see as proof?

Because this thread and apples website (see screenshot above in post #6) say otherwise.

10. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have 2 AT&T phones that I bought from Apple Store and currently using on T-Mobile. If you don't believe me, that's fine. I don't need to prove anything. Apple store genius and manager confirmed that they were unlocked before I bought it.

11. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

Where did you buy them and when?
    You asked for no contract AT&T iPhone 6 and they provided you without any problem?

12. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I have a cousin in Sicily in Italy who wants me to purchase an unlocked T-Mobile phone for her.

Does anyone know if the iPhone 6 from T-Mobile will work in Italy? And does anyone know if an AppleCare warranty can be purchased in the United States and apply to her needs in Italy?

I have never done anything like this before, just want to make sure I can help her before I tell her I can.

BJ

13. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

All You gotta do is go to an apple store and ask for a device only iPhone 6. The Verizon 6 is gsm unlocked regardless of under contract or full price. To get the Verizon 6 device only u must go into an apple store. It's not online.

14. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

If I ask for Version iPhone 6 to purchase with full price, no contract, is it possible? I'm not citizen of USA, Do I need anything else? I'm just paying for it like T-Mobile no contract?

15. lke macrumors 6502a

I am sure the iphone will work in any country because the new iphones work in almost all bands.

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yes. Go to apple store. Ask for device only Verizon 6. Pay full price. That's it. You can also ask for device only att. In your case they're the same phone

17. wesselya macrumors member

Even if u buy a t mobile off contract don't u need to prove your a tmobile customer ? U can't just buy a Verizon or att phone without having an account. I'm not sure this guy will be able to buy any other carrier phone other than t mobile assuming that u can just buy one off contract without proving any obligation to any carrier. There is a thread on how to order full price Verizon phone I would go that route if the shipping works for u. Where are u traveling to ? For how long ? You might need a family member buy you one

----------

Att won't be u locked. Verizon will. He will need to request att unlock the phone for him. Att might work on t mobile and I've heard this before but I'm not sure it's fully world gsm unlocked. I wouldn't risk it. Verizon is fool proof

18. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

In actual, my parents are coming to usa at 1.10 and they will travel for 2 weeks. I have family members but not at the area they are traveling. I want them to buy for me at new Hampshire since it is tax free. What is the best way for me to promise they will buy for me? I hope that t-mobile no contract will back to stock soon... but if not, I would like to know another options
    ----------

What do you mean by "fool proof"? Verizon phones are unlocked for sure. the question how to buy verizon iphone without contract...

19. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You don't need to prove anything at an apple store. You can buy device only Verizon, tmobile and ATT and it will be unlocked FROM THE APPLE STORE.

There's multiple threads discussing this. A full price iPhone 6 from the apple store will be unlocked. Again, go to apple store, ask for device only iPhone 6 (Verizon if u prefer). Pay full price. That's it

20. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

When did you but the iPhone 6? And where?
    Did they ask you if you have an exiting account?

21. mobutt macrumors 6502

I bought the iPhone 6 the first day contract free from the Apple store. It wasn't even an issue. Just said I wanted the ATT one with out a contract. I ended up returning that and bought a T-Mobile 6+ but they don't have problems selling any of them with out account info.

22. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

You had a contract... I don't have one so it may be a problem, isn't it?

23. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

OP... Come on man!!!! Re-read the replies. It basically spelled out for you multiple times.

24. royik thread starter macrumors newbie

Just making sure... some people said it is not possible and some said it is possible, so i'm want to know what EXACTLY to say so I will get it with no problem.

25. 617aircav Suspended

Walk into an apple store and buy any iPhone except sprint at full price. That's it. No magic involved.