What is the best way to have multiple devices access the same iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StephenCampbell, Dec 23, 2014.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

If there are, say, ten Apple devices in a household and the family wants all of them to access all the same music from the same iTunes library, where would you house that iTunes library and how would you make it accessible by all the devices?

Thanks!

2. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

Mine is on a wd mycloud drive. Accessible to all devices which have access to the drive from anywhere.

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Does this allow the music to show up under the "Music" app on multiple iPads or iPhones, as well as within iTunes on multiple Macs?

4. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

On my IOS devices I have a mycloud app and the music shows there. If you point the iTunes library to this source then your music should show as previously.

I and my family can use multiple devices to access different tracks simultaneously.. Just go to iTunes Preferences, advanced, and set the path to the library.. Easy and very effective.

5. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I've been using the same setup, works very well. :)

6. StephenCampbell, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

But by what means does the iTunes library become online and accessible in the cloud?

Is the app the WD My Cloud app in the iTunes store?

I'm unclear on what the path is that I would be setting in the iTunes preferences, and then what I would be doing in the My Cloud app on the various devices.

Edit: Oh wait, you need to have the WD My Cloud hard drive... and this connects to wi-fi? And then the mycloud app connects to the drive...?

7. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

Yes. And is accessible anywhere you have a connection to internet. I also use the disk for time machine (4 Macs backing up) All my photos are stocked on the drive, my WP websites auto back up to the disk, and all files I am likely to want to access remotely are also there. I have the 4TB version and it just works!

8. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, thanks!

9. Sangoma macrumors member

What happens if two computers connect to the library at the same time?

10. rigormortis, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

itunes sharing tips by rigor:

iTunes sharing for iOS devices and itunes ( computers )
    -=====-
    click on file
    home sharing
    type itunes account on server and iOS devices

pros
    ----
    the only way to share itunes library to an iOS device

cons
    -----
    you only have 5 computer authorizations

itunes sharing for computers only ( some mac heads think this is "obsolete" or "legacy" they are wrong

-=====-

click on itunes
    click on preferences
    click on sharing
    clck on "share my library on my local network"

cons
    -----
    does not work on iOS devices

pros
    ===
    omg

if your music has no DRM, like if its your own personal Mp3s or ITunes plus songs, computers running iTunes, don't even need to be authorized, they don't even need to be signed on to apple.com at all , go ahead run 100 computers all running itunes all over your home and work , and they will all work fine and it won't cost you any authorizations , because the music your playing isn't DRM

---

what happens if two computers want to access the asme library?

nothing, it works fine

which itunes sharing method should i use ?

BOTH
    you can use BOTH SIMULTANEOUSLY

do i need to buy an itunes server?
    probably not. unless you want to use a nas that supports RAID to keep your music safe.. the itunes server will just use the legacy mode, that is already in itunes

i hope they never remove sharing from iTunes preferences. it the greatest iOS feature since sliced bread

the more people talk about sharing in iTunes preferences being legacy or old , is more of a chance apple will remove this awesome feature