What is the best way to have push enabled?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Sep 16, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Does it make it better if you have edge on with push, or doesnt it really matter? Whenever I have push on, I notice my battery drops quite a bit more than fetching every hour. So if I just use Edge for push, would that help it considerably?

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Fetch = Worse battery life because the phone is constantly going out to the servers looking for mail.

Push = Better battery life because the phone doesn't go looking for mail, the mail get's pushed from the server to the phone.

use Push.

3. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

This is not completely true... if you set it to fetch you will see better battery life depending on how often you set it to check for mail...

Now if you set it to check for mail every minute then sure your battery life would be bad. But you can't do that.

4. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

you're wrong.

push = better battery life
    fetch = worse battery life.....regardless of time interval

5. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

You're a real "Joker"... you're wrong. I said not COMPLETELY true. If you set your email to be checked once a hour... you are not using up your battery. And of course like I said if you set it to every few minutes it's going to eat battery. Of course you have to take into consideration of how many emails a day you receive as well.

"9. Set Push to Off, and Set Fetch Time. Push email isn't that useful for me because I know I'm getting emails all day long and that I have to be checking all the time. Push does use more juice than the fetch mode, which checks for calendar, contact and email syncing at set intervals of 15 minutes to an hour. I set mine to 1 hour unless I'm out of the office. If you seldom update your contacts and calendars, you might even be better off syncing by cable to iTunes, while you pick up a charge."

http://gizmodo.com/5025150/how-to-maximize-your-iphone-3gs-questionably-adequate-battery-life

6. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I just have it pushing email, and manual contacts/calendar... I hope this is better.

7. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Respectfully, all of you are wrong.

Fetch will give you better battery life.
    Push will give you less battery life.

Why is this? Fetch goes out at the set interval to check for mail, contacts, etc, and then transfers the data. Push on the other hand establishes an idle connection with the server, waiting for a signal of new mail. Upon receiving the signal, the phone will then download the data.

Push gives you worse battery life because this idle connection is always open, therefore draining your battery. If you don't believe me, try it.

I can almost guarantee you your battery will last 2x as long when set to Fetch. Push just drains it like crazy.

Please note that the situation I'm describing concerns a phone setup with Microsoft Exchange. MobileMe works in a similar fashion, but basically gets a "hidden" Jabber instant message, saying "hey, you got an email, come get it!".

Both of these "push" methods are done at the device level. In other words, the push feature runs on the phone itself. (keeping the connection open, and receiving a message) BlackBerry's have great battery life with push, and this is because BB push is done at the network level, and not the device level. Basically the message is forced to the handset, as an SMS would be. The handset's software is designed to automatically accept the message, and from parsing can determine the email contents and the like.

Hope that answers your question. :)