Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LemmycautioN

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Seattle
Okay, I'm thinking about installing a new hdd into my MBP. I've never swapped out a drive in one of my computers simply because I need more space so I've never used a proper method of installing the current volume onto the new drive - I've always used Carbon Copy Cloner or Timemachine etc. The problem with those apps is that they don't really preserve all of the data - I always have to reset my snitch preferences etc.

So to those people who have swapped out drives for reasons other than a corrupted drive, what is the best method of moving the volume onto the new drive.

I have a SATA USB enclosure so my plan was to put the new drive in the enclosure, connect it, and using something - hopefully better than CCC or Timemachine - transfer the volume onto the new drive, and then physically put it in.

Does anyone know a really good way to swap drives???

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I used CCC without problems before, but I have no Snitch installed. But if that is the only problem (can't you save the preferences and import them again?), I would go with CCC or SuperDuper.

The rest is fairly self explanatory.

1. new HDD in USB enclosure
2. clone int HDD to ext HDD
3. swap HDDs
4. use old HDD as new drive or backup or decoration

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I agree with spinnerlys. I recently replaced my HDD, used CCC, and also have Snitch, and everything worked flawlessly.

My steps:
1. clone existing HDD
2. install the new HDD
3. boot from the clone
4. format the new HDD
5. clone old HDD to new HDD

done :)

steverunner

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
UK
I did this recently. I don't have any clone software so did this:

New drive in external sata enclosure
Connected and then formatted in OSX
Used Migration assistant to tranfer data.
Swapped drives and booted from new drive

Simples!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You can also use Disk Utility's "restore" function to copy and restore your HDD

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I either use SuperDuper or just time machine it! I'm not sure if SuperDuper will save all of your settings, but it should.

tfstone

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
I never clone a harddisk.I kinda like the process of setting up a virgin computer or hdd. Helps me to get rid of all the software that I installed and never use. I just move the data from the old disk by putting into an enclosure.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Personally I like to...

1. Perform a fresh install of the OS.
2. Run Updates
3. Install software
4. Run updates on any disc based installers
5. Manually transfer data including programs which hide their databases in the Library folders (e-mail, stickies, iWeb etc...)
6. Update preferences
7. Other miscellaneous tasks like choosing custom icons and desktop.

As for customer computers I perform a fresh install, run migration assistant and run the updates (or start them if done on site).

LemmycautioN

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Seattle
The difference in size between the CCC clone I just made and my internal HDD is around 5 GB. 3 gigs is in the /Library's applicational support folder

Does that sound odd to anyone?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The difference in size between the CCC clone I just made and my internal HDD is around 5 GB. 3 gigs is in the /Library's applicational support folder

Does that sound odd to anyone?

There usually is some difference. CCC is going to skip temp files and the page file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.