what is the best way to keep an imac and macbook synced?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maclook, Oct 23, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

i have an macbook and i would love to buy a new imac (for the horsepower, desk use) but i dont want there to be any hassle with having to sync the two. is there a simple way to avoid any headaches if i jump the gun and buy it? i have a time capsule so i was thinking there might be a way to automatically sync the two whenever they are on the network

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

3. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

i think i only need itunes to be synced so it doesn't seem to bad anymore.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have heard of people using ChronoSync and people seem to rate it.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

6. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I've been testing the demo of Chronosync for a while and am about to purchase it primarily for keeping my mail synced between my macs.

To the OP: If all you want to do is keep your iTunes library in sync, iTunes 9 added "home sharing" which lets you easily transfer songs from one mac to another. I used to use Dropbox to do this, but no more. I've found this to be very useful.

7. icafelawrence macrumors newbie

If all you're looking to do is sync iTunes, you can do that with home sharing in the latest version of iTunes.

However, I strongly suggest you get mobileme to sync your e-mail accounts, bookmarks, calendars, keychains, etc. It is SO worth it!

8. bobdard macrumors regular

I normally like to automate things, so I'd recommend MobileMe for syncing your contacts, calendars, preferences, keychains, bookmarks, mail, etc. in sync. As for iTunes or any other actual content, I'd say go with Dropbox. It will keep everything in sync for you (Or ChronoSync, though I think Dropbox is a simpler setup). The only advantage of CS is if you want thing to sit in their own place instead of copying them to the DropBox folder.

Read this if you like the idea of MobileMe but don't want to spend extra money on DropBox or CS:

If your music library is small, you can even use MobileMe's iDisk to keep things in sync. Just copy the iTunes folder to your iDisk (MM gives you 20GB to split between mail and iDisk). Once its dragged in there, you can turn on iDisk syncing on both computers, and it will actually sync your iDisk (cloud) to your desktop on both macs. Whenever you add a song to iTunes on one computer, iDisk (on your computer) will sync with cloud, and back to the other computer...