Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I use FireFox most of the time but sometimes I also use Safari. Over the past 10 years, on my Mac I have about 30-40 bookmark folders. Some of them should be subfolders. Some folders hold the same category of bookmarks but as I do not scroll through the entire long list of bookmarks all the time, I created another similar folder. What is the best way to manage bookmarks? Am I correct that we cannot have subfolders in FireFox and Safari?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Am I correct that we cannot have subfolders in FireFox and Safari?
Hi,

at least for Safari, you are wrong, fortunately : you can have subfolders in Safari, and sub-subfolders etc... as well.

Fortunately...

https://www.lifewire.com/manage-safari-bookmarks-favorites-2259958

Capture d’écran 2017-02-18 à 15.05.16.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, I just tried in both Safari 10.1, and Firefox 51.0.1
Both allow subfolders in the Bookmarks menu. I tested to 5 levels down in both browsers.
All you need to do is add a folder. Firefox will make a folder in the exact location that you want it.
Safari folders can easily be dragged (drug?) to the subfolder location that you want.

Best way to manage bookmarks is the method that lets you use them the way that you like (?)

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Manage or "Collect" bookmarks ...

I work for a company where we can track traffic back to bookmark usage for our employees. While most have several hundred bookmarks, most use about 10-18 ... which is probably a best practice. On of the benefits of the Internet is the constant evolving nature of content.

Having said that, all browsers allow deep folder nesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.