What is the best way to mitigate wifi channel interference?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iBookG4user, Sep 11, 2013.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I recently moved to a place where there are over 20 wifi networks in range at any one time. All of the usual network channels are flooded and all of my devices lose network connectivity at least once every 30 minutes. I have tried channel 1, 6, 11 and 13, as well as 14. (however, none of my devices connected to channel 14) Right now I have a Buffalo Airstation WZR-300HP with dd-wrt installed.

In addition to changing channels, I have tried increasing the tx power, however that does not improve things. As it stands right now, I have a reliable wireless connection up to 10 feet away from the router. Any further than 10 feet away and I have the connection issues.

My current router does not have any support for external antennas. Would a directional antenna help the situation? All the devices that use the wifi are in the same direction. Or any other thoughts on what might fix the issue?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. satcomer, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I always felt is to change the channel according to the access points around you. For 10.6 use iStumbler 99. For 10.7, 10.8 use the iStumbler Beta.

Plus use the upper channels (the ones is hundreds range) to get the true 5 GHz speeds.

Edit: Oh it's cheap single-band router and can use only one channel at a time. That's to bad for newer equipment having to use the old 2.4 bands to support older equipment. IMHO should have bought a Dual-Band router.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Use 5Ghz 802.11n if your devices support it for the best option.

Otherwise I would hold down the option key while opening the Airport menu on my Mac. Then make a list of the Name, RSSI (Signal strength) and Channel of each network. Then choose a channel with the weakest competing signal to maximize range.