What is the best way to move songs?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dagogo, Jul 7, 2007.

1. dagogo macrumors newbie

Hi, this is probably a painfully easy request but I can not figure it out! All the guides I've seen are seem to be for copying libraries rather than moving select songs between libraries. I'd like to move (not copy) roughly 300 songs out of my main itunes library and into a new library for my daughter so she can sync her ipod to it. Both libraries are on the same computer. I can not figure out the best way to do this! I'd like to preserve the album art since she just spent a lot of time manually adding much of it.

I don't understand how this works....when I try "add to library" or "import", I only see the files for the entire library and then would have to go through and select 200-300 artists? This doesn't seem right...seems like it would take hours since I'd have to do each artist individually....and this method won't delete them from my main library and then I'd have to reselect all the same songs and delete them separately.

Also, isn't the album cover data in another folder? How would I move that for only certain songs? I assumed I would be able to see the new library on the left (like a shared library) and simply select the songs in the main library (using control, shift etc to get them blue) and drag them into the new one but it's not there.

I am stumped and am probably making this harder than it should be..any help would be greatly appreciated:)

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

not sure about cover art but you can select the songs you want and drag them into another folder, say on the desktop, create a new account, and then drag and drop that folder into the itunes window of the new account.

you can however make playlists for what you want on her individual ipod, drag those songs into it, and change the setting when ipod is plugged in to sync only with that playlist.

edit:^^ the method I proposed would keep album art intact.

3. dagogo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Rokem, I will give it a try.

I understand about the playlists, but I'm going to be moving my library to an external drive soon and think it will just be easier to keep them seperate for the long haul.