What is the best way to set up 2 iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Redw, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Redw macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an iPad1 and 2 iPhones (mine and my wife's) on one Apple ID. I now want to buy a second iPad (iPad 3 hopefully :)) but don't want everything synced across all devices.

At the moment apps and any other downloads are synced across all three, photos are shared to the iPad but not her phone and I definitely want to set the 2 iPads up completely differently.

I can think of 2 potential answers:

1. Create a second Apple ID in my wife's name for her phone and iPad - But this will probably mean she will lose what she has so I will need to reconfigure it

2. Turn off iCloud on her devices - That would lose the benefit of backups and they would still try to load everything when synced with the Mac.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Separate ID's would make more sense. Why not create one for your new iPad? Then you can set it up the way you want, and retain the present system you have for your ipad1 and your phones.

3. Redw thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi MacMan,

Would that mean I would need to buy any purchased apps again or can I transfer them from my Mac to the new iPad irrespective of the apple ID? If that was the case would they be eligible for updates when they come along?