What is the best way to store all my data?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by graphish, Feb 9, 2015.

1. graphish macrumors newbie

Hi All

After doing a fresh install of Yosemite, I am wanting to make sure I get everything set up right and its a question of where should I store all my files...

Do I store it all on the iMac, or do I store it off the iMac?

Storage wise, I have 2 x 1TB NASs (Synology and WD) and I also have a 2TB WD My Passport Ultra (USB 3.0).

The kind of files I have are: Music, stacks of photos in Adobe Lightroom and Client files (CS5 documents, pdf's etc...), as I am a graphic designer.

I did try using my 1TB server, but transfer speeds to slow,or is that the best way anyway and I just put up with it.

Was thinking maybe should use the 2TB drive (USB 3.0) as is fast, and get Time Machine or other backup software (carbon copy) to do me backups.

Advice greatly appreciated.... Thanks in advance!:)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not store your data on your Mac, you'll enjoy faster access speeds. Use the NAS to hold your music, so you can stream to your computer and use the external drives to back up your iMac and NAS.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I would recommend storing large libraries (photos, music & movies) on an EHD. Sinology makes fine NAS's however remember OS X does not support NAS technology so you need to ensure the NAS's firmware is up-to-date and it supports the version of OS X installed on the computer. My suggestion for the libraries are high quality EHDs such as OWC selection. If speed is of importance use Thunderbolt connections.

For your backup TM is a good first choice however in order to have a true backup system you should have redundant backup. For example I use both TM and a bootable clone both on separate OWC Mercury Elite Pros.

4. graphish thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions.

As I need to sometimes do work on a different computer, what would be the best way to save files, that I can access on both.

Can I do the backup to the 2TB USB drive and when I change a file on that, it will change it on my iMac, or is there a better way.?

Thanks again...:)

5. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

Slow way: DropBox, or similar cloud storage. It's a great way to keep files in sync, but might not have the speed you need for client media files.

Faster way: Keep all your client files on the WD USB 3.0 drive, then move that from computer to computer.