What is the best way to transfer files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by c073186, Jan 26, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I have a PowerBook right now and soon will be getting a Mac Pro. When that arrives I am going to want to put all my files (documents, music, photos, etc.) on to that computer. What would be the best way to do that? I mean, for stuff like iTunes and iPhoto, if I just copy everything to a DVD and then drag it over through the finder, will my songs and pictures show up correctly or not? Is there a special way to transfer files for programs like iTunes / iPhoto?

Thanks.

2. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Use a FireWire cable and connect both macs, when you first startup your new mac it will run the macosx setup and it will ask you if you want to transfer your data from another mac, it's very intuitive and easy.
    Also you can do it later via the app in your utilities folder.
    ________
    Drums

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Yup you're right, and the utility by the way is called Migration assistant; if that doesn't work right; reinstall OS X and yes put the files on a DVD and then just drag your photo's into iPhoto and your music into iTunes and it'll sort it for you.

4. macdave121 macrumors newbie

i've got a macbook on the way.
    currently im using a mini with 10.4.11 and multiple user accounts.
    Is there an option to just transfer my own account over to my MB?

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes, the Migration Assistant lets you check just the user accounts you want to transfer.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a Powerbook and am getting a Mac Mini as well. I transferred over everything from my 1999 iMac DV when I bought the PB 3 years ago via Migration assistant.

There's 8 years of junk there that I'd rather not transfer so I'm also looking to only transfer some of the stuff.

Probably the most important are Safari bookmarks and my entire mail folder.

So, I'd like to know if this would work too.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

With Safari just export the bookmarks I believe the option is in the file Menu. For Mail there is probably a similar option but I stopped using e-mail clients and just use my providers Web interface instead.

Now for your files I personally am anal retentive about what gets transferred so I do it manually:D. The easiest way would be to start your iMac in target disk mode hold the 't' key while booting and connect to your new computer via firewire cable. The iMac's hard drive will then appear as an HD on your new Macs desktop. From there it is just a matter of going through your folders and dragging then dropping files.

If your new computer will have multiple users I would set up folders with each user name in your root directory, the main directory when you open a disk on your desktop. Then drag the files to each folder. Thus reducing problems with changing file permissions later on.

If you do not have a firewire cable you could turn on file sharing and Appletalk on both computers and connect them by ethernet, making sure to make the hard drive of the new Mac shareable as you do not want to transfer files for other users to your user folder. Then mount the HD from the new computer onto the iMac and do the same drag and drop procedure as described above. You would have to set up and log in to the old iMac as the root user to have easy access to all the different user files though.

Enabling Root User
    Target Disk Mode
    Turn on Appletalk and File Sharing

To share a hard drive I believe that after you turn on file sharing you just click on the disk and "get info" in the file menu or "Apple+I" on the keyboard then there should be an option for file sharing.

Sorry I am not at my Mac right now so I am working from memory. These procedures should be similar for all OS X versions.

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You want Setup Assistant, not Migration Assistant. They work in slightly different ways, and for what you're doing, Setup Asst. is the easiest way to go. Trust me, I learned the difference the hard way.

9. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What is the difference?

The Leopard Support Essentials Book states that they will do the same thing.
    ________
    Edsel Ford II history

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

MA requires a new user name, etc., SA just transfers everything as is. Using MA, I ended up with 3 or 4 full transfers of everything because I wasn't sure the transfer has been accomplished. So I started over with an erase and install and used Setup Asst., which did everything AND saved my user name, short name, everything from the old system. Easier.