Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpower934

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
USA
I will preface by saying that i have been using an Anker Qi charger with an Apple 12W adapter in the office and bedside with pretty great results. I have an iPhone X with Apple leather case and the phone will charge a few percent every 10 minutes while on the Anker.

Since I liked the convenience of the Anker so much, I decided to put a wireless charger in my car. I landed on the Scosche’s StuckUp Qi based on Wirecutter's review.

The actual mount is really nice and is very sturdy, but the charging capability is terrible. I am getting about 1% every 15 minutes when the phone is idle, and will lose power over time when using Waze or Google Maps. I did expect the charging to be slower when using GPS, but not to lose power.

In hopes of fixing this, I tried my 4.8amp usb cigarette lighter adapter, but this didn't help either.

Has anyone had a better experience with a different brand? I love the convenience of just popping my phone in the charger and not having to mess with cables, but this thing sucks.

Thanks!

marc34

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
I gave up on it in my car. Especially if you are streaming or using the phone anyway wireless just seems to keep the battery level the same, even with " fast chargers". For example say my battery is at 50% and I wirelessly charge and stream music for an hour. When I get to my destination my battery will be at 50% , plus or minus and couple of points. Overall I have pretty much stopped using wireless charging. I have tried a few different models for my car and also home and have returned most and currently have a few that are collecting dust. I settled on a Belkin USB-C car plug and a Apple USB C to lightning cable in the car

mpower934

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
USA
I gave up on it in my car. Especially if you are streaming or using the phone anyway wireless just seems to keep the battery level the same, even with " fast chargers". For example say my battery is at 50% and I wirelessly charge and stream music for an hour. When I get to my destination my battery will be at 50% , plus or minus and couple of points. Overall I have pretty much stopped using wireless charging. I have tried a few different models for my car and also home and have returned most and currently have a few that are collecting dust. I settled on a Belkin USB-C car plug and a Apple USB C to lightning cable in the car
[doublepost=1516469255][/doublepost]Thanks for the info. What models have you tried?

I’m hoping a 7.5w version comes out soon, but it looks like all of the new ones that were announced at CES aren’t dropping until Summer/Fall 2018.

mpower934

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
USA

GadgetVirtuoso

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
Fort Worth, YX
Any update on this? I've tried several, some claiming to be 7.5W but none can at least keep up with the phone. While not ideal, I would be ok with at least being able to keep the phone on the same charge rather than losing 1-2% per 30 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.