What Is The Best

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iThink Apple, Oct 28, 2013.

1. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Sorry if this has been asked before but what is the best software to use for installing Windows 7 on my new 13" Macbook Pro Retina I7, 16GB RAM, 512GB?

I want to install a couple of games :)

Bootcamp
    Parallels
    Fusion
    Or others

2. artmro macrumors newbie

3. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Performance vise as well?

4. BarryL macrumors 6502

Oh yes, absolutely.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Boot Camp allows Windows to run natively, thus giving the operating system the ability to take full advantage of the hardware. Parallels, Fusion and Virtualbox are emulators, so performance will suffer. For office tasks, surfing and playing older games, virtual machines are fine, but intensive gaming should be done with Boot Camp.

6. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Great! Thanks guys :) I will try with bootcamp. I am trying to play Microsoft Flight Simulator!

7. bakechad macrumors member

Have you tried Flightgear or X-Plane on your Mac. They can both be played natively on the MAC. While they don't have all the features and add-ons you will find in MSFS, they are both World Class flight simulators with tons of planes, add-ons, multiplayer, etc. Flightgear is Open Source as well as multi-platform and will cost you $0. X-plane is $59.99

8. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Thanks but FSX is my fav. I already have a dedicated PC for FSX so this is just for fun and to test my Macbook Pro Retina ;)

9. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Start with Bootcamp. It's free, reliable and supported by Apple. It's also the best option if you're playing games, as your system's resources aren't split up between two OS's.

And in the future, if you're really feeling saucy, you can always buy Parallels and attach it to your bootcamp partition, allowing you to use the same Windows install from within OS X. Not recommended for most games, but it's awesome if there's a Windows program you need to use and don't feel like rebooting into Windows every time. It just runs the program in its own window.