What is the better browser for Mac Safari or Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JSmoove05, Jun 8, 2007.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Hey all new to the Mac World im trying to figure out which is the best browser for me Safari or Firefox. I have a been windows user all my life but I do remember back in the day going to my cousins house who had an apple we use to play maniac mansion and mavis beacon typing lol anyways. Im use to the IE browser but I dont believe you can use that with Mac OSX right? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Safari and Firefox thanks alot.

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

They're both good. I use Safari simply because it was there when I bought my Mac.

Firefox does have an impressive library of add-ons and themes though.....

3. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

FF is tons better -- for right now.

but i might have to get used to safari again when the iPhone launches -- i may just use the iphone and sell the macbook.

don't get me wrong -- i love my macbook -- i've never had the first problem with it.

BUT, the iphone looks like it may just do what i need, if i can figure out how to do the things i want.

4. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I like both.
    I prefer Safari because I use it more and for an easier spell checker, I haven't really figured out the Firefox spellcheck feature yet.

They both have a purpose.
    Firefox for mac seems to work well.

Some sites(very few) don't seem to allow safari to use all the features.
    Explorer on the mac is ridiculously inept.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

If Firefox is a bit big and clunky for you, then this is a nice alternative:

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

There are plenty of browsers for the Mac, and it's really down to personal preference and how much browsing you actually do to make it worth the effort :)

I'd recommend any of them over IE, though.

6. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I cannot decide on a browser!

I think Opera is the fastest, but it doesn't work with all sites.

Camino works well but is ugly (even skinned) and I can't get the damn bookmark icons to go away (despite following instructions in another MR thread to the letter).

FF has a tendency to crash on me.

Mozilla works pretty well - not sure why it doesn't crash like FF - and maybe I can use my Safari theme from FF with it. I'm wondering if Mozilla is less bloated?

And for some reason, I don't really like Safari...but I may try using it for a bit.

7. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I prefer ff here. It also has a built in spell checker. Plus, with the extra plug-ins, you can do quite a bit!

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm using Firefox, and have been for the last couple of months. I find that it takes up less memory than Safari does. And I like the fact that I have it set so that it goes to every single one of the websites I usually go to at start, so I don't have to type any URLs when I start it. The extensions are nice too.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

[​IMG]

10. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I prefer Firefox. I've tried Safari several times, but just never got into it. I like the fact that Firefox can be customized, so I use the GrApple theme, along with various add ons.

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I prefer Safari. It is faster and its news feeder is absolutely amazing. I don't like the Live Bookmarks that Firefox has.
    My only issues with Safari are the ressources it needs to run and that some web sites don't work. I hope Safari 3 will solve both issues.

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I use them both quite a bit. I prefer Firefox, but that's largely because of the addons. Safari is a great browser, though. It's come a long way. The only sites I ever have problems with are the ones programs my moron web developers who require Internet Explorer. (I've never had any luck with Safari's trick of emulating IE.)

13. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I use Safari 90% of the time. It's faster and I'm very used to it. I never got into the Firefox craze with all the add-ons and themes. Plus, Firefox takes about 5 minutes to load a page when I have only one bar of Airport. :(

14. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you guys know if Safari has something that lets you refresh the browser automatically. I know FireFox has an extension but im curious to see if Safari does thanks.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

I use FireFox on the umpteen different computers I use at home and work (which are a mix of XP, Vista, Linux, and OS X) because it has an extension that keeps my bookmarks in sync.

So no matter which computer I'm using, if I add a new bookmark, or delete/rearrange existing bookmarks, my bookmarks will look the same on all of my computers.

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Actually Omniweb isnt't bad at all. The only problem I see is the placement of the Tab bar. I would like to have it exactly like Safari. Another issue is the price...Why pay for it???

17. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Safari is the only mainstream browser that support ICC profiles for photos. For example, photos on my website and Flickr look exactly like they do in Photoshop when I use Safari. When I use Firefox the colours are all nasty and faded.

18. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Wow that's really neat, did not know that! Too bad IE and FF don't do it, that would be great from a design POV.

19. TimJim macrumors 6502a

i use Safari, its default on mac, fast, and good.
    Firefox is good, has add ons and themes, but is a bit slow for me
    Opera is fast but doesnt support every web page.
    and i just dont like Camino.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you used the latest Camino? I ask as a Safari user who really likes it, and didn't like previous versions. Tabspose in the next version looks nice (and is useful in Shiira). I couldn't live without Inquisitor though...

21. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

I'd use Camino if it worked with the Firefox extensions. The Firefox extensions are very useful to me so that's why I end up using Firefox.

I like trying out different browsers, and I've been meaning to give OmniWeb a try. I hear great things about it. Might load up Opera too. Already have Camino installed in addition to FF & Safari.

22. skwij macrumors 6502

That's kinda like asking what colour do you prefer, Blue or Red? They're both great browsers, for different reasons.

I happen to use Firefox the most, and Safari if for some reason a download won't work with Firefox, or a page doesn't play nice.

NEVER liked Opera, for some reason it just didn't "gel" with me. Camino's ok, but too barebones for my liking.

23. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Safari with Saft. I seem to remember scrolling in Firefox annoyed me somehow. Shiira is alright, too.